Sunday, May 25, 2008

Movie 101: Indiana Jones Pt. 4

I had a wonderful night, enjoyed an early dinner at Pepper Lunch (again) after which I watched the much-anticipated movie, the fourth installment of Indiana Jones.

But first, I have to write something that you guys wouldn't probably believe.

Here it goes.

I have never actually watched ANY Indiana Jones film, except this Crystal Skull. I'm an 80's kid, passable for a movie lover, but for some reason my childhood missed out on this one. And I have no idea, why.

Whenever I say this particular information of my life, people at first couldn't believe it. Afterwards the pitiful look sinks in. They feel kind of sorry for me. Knowing that almost everyone in my generation has watched at least one Indiana Jones movie makes me feel kind of pathetic. Where the hell was I?

But don't get me wrong. I'm not really an Indiana Jones ignoramus. I know how he looks like, all khaki, with his hat, with his whip and with a McGyver meets the jungle get-up. I'm also quite familiar on how an Indiana Jones movie goes along. It's all a cat-and mouse adventure chase loaded with breathtaking sequences. I'm also quite familiar that Indiana Jones is played by no other than Harisson Ford. Although I automatically register Harisson Ford for playing the modern normal joe characters trapped in some actioned-pack conspiracy (watch The accidental tourist, fugitive, 7 days and 7 nights). And who could ever mistake that original musical score that was used in a couple of commercials? (I think one was with Ovaltine)


Kingdom of Crystal Skull showcases what Indiana Jones is known to do. Escape in invisible circumstances with breathtaking action sequences that Spielberg is known to pull off. Watching the movie, watching Indiana Jones for the first time, made me appreciate what the hero is all about. There was no more character development for the protagonist since it's expected that all the character developments were already exhaustively depicted in the previous movies, which everyone is aware of except me.

But the movie incorporates all the essential things to successfully create an entertaining adventure chase with the usual web-engulfed tombs and lush jungle locations. This is also the first time I've actually seen Cate Blanchett display some combat skills. I should say I'm impressed, but does she really have to be Dr. Spalko? Is this another Pepper-Potts kind of thing? Sure she spells evil, but I think she deserves more than that. I guess she was also curious with enough time on her hands. But I have to hand it to her, she makes the gray jumpsuit look so sexy, not to mention, sporting a bob that's a trend now. She puts so much truth to her Ukrainian character that you have to remind yourself that this woman actually played Elizabeth, the queen of England, and in truth she's an Australian. Meanwhile, the next movie star, Shia LeBouf, plays the tough teenage guy who seeks the help of Indiana Jones. Except for his fun-combing scenes, I don't feel him quite selling the tough version. I prefer to see him more of an effective apprentice, who scrambles a lot, than a kid playing to be tough, smooth and surviving at the end of the day. Harisson Ford as always still looks sexy. You just have to excuse and push his age aside. It doesn't stop him from throwing some punches here and there and selling his "pressured-in-some-sort-of-situation face." But I must say, seeing him play the professor versus seeing him clad in his Indiana Jones getup is a world of difference. From grandpa to dad. Ha-ha

Watching the movie is entertainment round the clock. Sure, there were some sentimental scenes and lines here and there, but it's forgivable. The cool action scenes will make up for it. It's a movie that gives less room for expectations because what else can you expect from Indiana Jones, right? The reactions of people are quite favorable, but I wouldn't be able to compare if it is the best Indiana Movie installment, since this is my first to date. I'd better buy some collectors' dvd and catch up.

All in all, Indiana Jones is very fast paced film. It is entertaining and kind of fun to watch when you want to pass the time. It's a sort of action eye candy. Some of my friends even coined the term "authentically indiana." Whatever that means, I guess it stuck to the feel of the franchise, together with the actor, the plot, the costume and the director. It's a good effort for a comeback. And if it's good enough for the rest, then it's good enough for me.

No comments: