Sunday, October 12, 2008

Best Brand of Missing

I am chatting with my boyfriend who is currently in Malaysia for an entire week. For the past few days, we've only resulted to chatting since I didn't reply to the CHKKA text that he sent me the other day. This completely blocks him from sending any text messages to me. If he's online and I'm not, he asks our common friends, who are online, to text me to go online. I just relay messages to them if I'm mobile. Now, I'm currently waiting for SKYPE to finish downloading.

Probably this is the longest time we have been apart from each other. He bested me with this trip against 2006 when I flew to Bali with Je for a quick vacation. Considering that we see each other almost everyday, people might think that this trip would leave me in shambles. Actually it's the other way around. I get to live being "single" for almost a week, doing what needs to be done without the need to be "flexible." It's a good recharging phase for the both of us I'm sure.

Do I miss him? Of course. I miss him. I really do, but it's a good "brand" of longing. I don't wallow at some area and mope around. I make use of the day as productively as possible, which I'm sure he is also doing in a foreign country. I want him to enjoy and focus on his tasks while I do what needs to be done. It's good to be apart from each other once in a while, done in a very good context that is.

There are times that I dine out to restaurants that Mitch and I frequently visit. I order the usual food that we order, and I think about him. It's not a depressing kind of mood though. It's happy and often trivial. It's no big deal probably because of the knowledge that I'll see him after a week. I also don't necessarily see this week as especially long, just normal. Thinking that he's enjoying there doing what he loves best is good enough for me.



Bags also mentioned last Friday night that I'm comfortable with human relationship adjustments because of my nature to quickly get preoccupied and focused with something else. I reflect it in my jobs. If I don't like the job anymore, I would weigh the alternatives and consequences, make my decision and forge on. For human relationships, these I can easily manipulate. I am real with relationships and transparent, but I always save something for myself. I must say that of course the strength of it comes in the type of relationship I have with someone. I might miss and hurt if the separation is abrupt and negative, but I know that I would bounce back to my natural roots. With Mitch, which I share special relations with, is very different from the rest. It's a thousand times harder to be apart, but definitely manageable for me.

At Some points I long for him to come home, of course eventually I'll get tired of pestering my brother. It's not the same without Mitch if we're talking months. But in truth, I want his happiness above all, it's the most important thing for me even from the start. I miss him, but it doesn't matter. I know we'll see each other pretty soon, and that is already good enough for me. This is the best brand of "missing" that I know.

PS: I'm sure HENRIETTA misses him:D

No comments: