Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Starbucks day on "THE" Starbucks Season

I bought my breakfast at Starbucks this morning. I just miss my usual Bagel with cream cheese so off I went. My hair still in disarray and practically dripping, I got there and pretty much ZOMBIED out my order. The cashier then asked me what I’ll be having for coffee. Thinking I just had coffee at Seattles last night and since Mitch and I position ourselves to be more frugal, I declined and told her I’ll just have the Bagel. Although privately I’m craving for a White Chocolate Mocha! Darn! Calm down, you glutton! And anyways I could always get a decent coffee at the office for free. Hmph.

So I waited patiently while fixing my stare at those sumptuous desserts when the cashier told me to get my drink later as soon as I have answered their internet survey question. I said, “Can you repeat that again please?” Well, apparently I won something this morning at Starbucks.

I honestly thought they’ve stopped giving freebies like these and it was just a one season thing. Well good thing it’s not because I just won! Yahoo. One free tall drink coming up! (Selfish mode)

I’ve also noticed that it’s kind of CRAZY in Starbucks eversince they’ve started their usual CHRISTMAS Promo to avail the 2009 STARBUCKS' PLANNER. I swear, there is something about those planners that make people buy STARBUCKS drinks by a dozen or so. Those creative, bounded planners have become one of the Philippine’s most sought after Christmas promos. My sister collects it. My officemates have started to collect it. The world started collecting it; and I’m just there enjoying my coffee. I would’ve given my receipts to my sister or friends for them to exchange for stickers, but there’s a new rule now that stickers are given ON THE SPOT SALE basis, meaning you have to exchange your receipt for a STICKER as you buy your SELECTED DRINK (9 Christmas Edition Drinks and 9 Usual Starbucks' drinks). This will prevent receipt hoarding.

Now I remember this girl behind me last week when I recently bought my White Mocha Venti. The cashier asked me for my promo card so she could put some stickers on it. I said I don’t have any card. She offered me one and I said, “No thank you, not interested." Honestly at that time, I thought I'd just give it to my sister. The cashier asked me again if I was so sure. I could feel the girl behind me breathing down my neck. I said “Yes, I’m pretty sure.” The cashier stamped my receipt and I felt the girl looked at me with disbelief. I wondered what was up. It was later on that I was INFORMED that to avail of the stickers it should be exchanged at the time of the purchase. Well, I could’ve just willingly given it to the girl behind me then. Sorry about that, I'm just an ignoramus in the Starbucks Planner Mechanics.

So there you go, I’m sure Starbucks will pick up a mammoth of sales this season. No doubt. Taking advantage of the fact that Filipinos love writing in planners and we’re still considered a scrapbook kind of nation. Also noting that the planners are from Starbucks makes a certain status signature, perhaps. "He's a Starbucks' drinker oh!"

Also, I remember Seattles Best or was it Coffee Bean that also launched a Planner promo last year. I think it wasn’t as successful as Starbucks. I’m not sure if they’ll be doing it again, but admittedly Starbucks has better packaging and features as far I could remember.

I wouldn’t be really that interested anyways. I’m just a coffee person, plain and simple. Apparently, planners do not really interest me.


**Meanwhile, more on Starbucks Global news:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200811101701DOWJONESDJONLINE000668_FORTUNE5.htm

“Starbucks said U.S. comparable-store sales fell 8%, marking the fourth straight quarter of sales declines at the company. Traffic and average transaction totals both fell.
International revenue improved 13%, outpacing U.S. revenue, which was up 1%.
Using fiscal 2008's comparable-store sales drop of 3%, the company lowered its fiscal 2009 per-share earnings target to 71 cents, down from its April view of per-share earnings of 90 cents to $1. Analysts were looking for earnings of 87 cents a share. But depending on how same-store sales end up, the company gave earnings targets ranging from 59 cents to 90 cents.
Starbucks also expects its international store count to rise by about 700 this fiscal year, not the 900 previously anticipated.
The company has found itself saddled with rising costs, declining revenue and has faced increased competition from Dunkin' Donuts, McDonald's Corp. (MCD) and local competitors. Last quarter, the company posted it's first quarterly loss six months after starting a turnaround effort.”

No comments: