Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Whoever. Whatever. As long as it's Better

This morning was a complete rush. After having barely 4 hours of sleep, I fed Harvey and tried to let him poop outside his “temporary Habitat of a big bird cage.” I know it’s killing me, but I just had to choose. Our maids are completely busy ricocheting back and forth to the new house while trying to catalog things. As much as they would want to, they cannot afford to squeeze the time to baby sit a puppy. I just have to call the house at designated hours to remind them to feed him his meals. It’s tough, but I’m sure everything would work out fine. IF there are things this dog will teach me are patience and to strengthen my faith.

Good thing I have flexible working hours at the office or else I’m screwed. Unfortunately, Mitch’s hour is more fixed so after picking him up at his street, we both knew he will be a little bit late than usual. Not to worry, I had a good non-rebuttable excus. Harvey.

So, I got to the office with a purely “zombic” state and ate the apple pie I was supposed to eat at lunch. I read the online newspapers and tried to carry on. Apparently the glaring international and even local news is all about US elections. Obama is leading 4 to 6 states comparatively. His face is all over the news sites, which could be considered a silent cheer for his nearing victory. I guess it’s going to be America’s FIRST amidst the crisis. It might be the Democrat's rule. I just wish him well.

With already so much political conundrums in our plate, Filipinos can still participate or vocalize their preferences in the heated presidential elections of a country we so depend on. The changes that the future US administration will bring would either way affect its relations to the Philippines, politically and economically wise. Since our flourishing businesses depend on our biggest trading partner and our onshore counterpart we should all pray that the change involves us in a more positve outlook. Democrats among Democrats alike, that should be interesting. But according to the report Filipinos are generally neutral to the future results.

According to the result published in Manila Times, 76% of Filipinos do not care whoever wins because it won’t have a direct affect to the Philippines. Politics is politics and what matters most is the promise of a decent future whether a democrat or a republican is at the helm.

Although according to the same survey, Filipinos still nurse preferences. Obama rated higher than McCain in the trust rating. McCain gained a poor trust rate of net minus 15%. In Metro Manila, 21% favor Obama compared to McCain’s 12%. Also in categories, Obama faired much better. College students liked Obama more than McCain.


But frankly I wasn’t surprised to find out that Obama fared better here in terms of gauging Filipinos’ preference. A lot of independent thinkers like Obama for his more realistic and justified reforms. Obama is known to be bolder, young and very driven as opposed to McCain’s traditional ways that we’ve seen too much in Bush. It’s true that we all want change and I see it more on Obama, new Face, fresh perspectives with a more youthful jive to it. Since preference is balled up in one huge complex criterion, it might be due to his broad perspectives in life, his natural diversity and his flair for keeping audience hooked in speeches.

Just like others if given the ultimate choice to participate in a vote, I might vote for Obama, but until then I would just have to wait and see. Whoever wins, what’s more important is the bottom line, food at our table, competitive businesses and global harmony. I guess in that note, I belong to the neutral Filipinos. But Politics aside, good luck to whoever wins.

No comments: