Sunday, November 7, 2010

New Books Acquisition

Last Sunday, I enjoyed myself in Fully Booked too much. In less than an hour, I bought 6 books. 2 of which were for my bestfriend's baby, whose christening I shamefully missed. Anyways, I added interesting titles to my library. The last time I was giddy like this was when I bought three new titles before I left for the States. I finished Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged during my States' visit, Markus Zusak's I am the Messenger on my flight back home and I have 2 more pending from that batch. The Persuasion, a classic and the Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell which is currently being borrowed by a colleague.

Last Sunday, with my initial goal to buy books for the baby, I got four new titles for me as well.



I'm currently finishing the Stieg's Larrson's Millennium Trilogy. I'm currently liking it. I would say that suspense-crime novels are not my most favorite genre, but I can very handle it. I have a penchant for those once in a while. I always get reliable fixes from Grisham, Crichton and Deaver. Of course I would venture out and discover good titles of suspense authors from time to time. For light modern drama I rely on N. Evans and A. Shreve. For contemporary there are J. Ferris, M. Atwood, J. Coetzee, H. Murakami on my favorite list. Fantasy-graphics include J. Gaarder, C. Barker, N. Gaiman and J. Tolkien. Romance novels I rely on J. McNaught and J. Litton. Not that I don't venture out. I love other authors and titles as well. I've always been adventurous when it comes to books. I'm just pointing out that some authors especially those that I have mentioned above have never failed me with their works. Surprisingly to note, I'm not much of a fan of Nicholas Sparks no matter how many books I've read that he has written, nor I am much of a fan of the acclaimed Sue Grafton, Anne Rice and some other popular authors. There are just books that are hits and misses for me.

Last month just before the major storm hit the metro, on the day I got my haircut, I also got two titles from two of my favorite authors in BookSale, a thrift book store. I always have an extra doze of excitement when I find out of print books in second hand book stores. Other people's trash is someone else's treasure. I found Arabat by Clive Barker and The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood both in good condition. You cannot find these in print in major bookstores nowadays. These are no brainers when I saw them. I immediately bought it.




The prospect of good books waiting to be read is so sweet. The feeling of going inside a bookstore is heavenly. I could stay there for the entire day. So little time so many books to read. For now I'm just finishing Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy after which it depends if I'll jump into classics by Austen, fantasy by Clive Barker or contemporary by Junot Diaz. The world is vast and the possibilities are endless when it comes to books.

No comments: