Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Chicken on my Mind

I was on my way to my Nikkon's house holding a bowl of chicken fillet on my left hand and a bottle of extra virgin olive oil to my right. With the lack of better things to do, I decided to have a chicken feast, since I missed eating anything except pork (allergies lately). As I looked at the slimy flesh of chicken, I've acknowledged that it's practically not the best decision I've made, but I tried to think that it was a decision for my soul. It was not entirely a bad decision actually. It was in a way calculated, which alloted my whole afternoon of talking to my conscience. Besides, my allergy had officially waned down anyways. And just in case my so-called medical speculation fires back, I have a bottle of heavy loratoderm in my pocket.

As I stepped out of the gate and looked at my future dinner, I wondered how many fillet of chicken I got. It was a lot, I tell you. Then a thought came rushing in, the possible scarcity of food. I mean for our country alone, we hold a record of 12th most populous nation scoring 88 million (Almost all trying to camp in Manila) and by combination the world has believed to have reached 6.7 Billion. (Major claps to China, India and the US)

When you're a child you are given liberty to ask stupid questions, I asked if there are so many wet markets, so many groceries, so many restaurants and so many people looking for chicken, fish and meat...would a day come that we won't have enough? Seriously, people say no, of course not. My mother would say, they have engineered food production already...(I don't know if she meant by GMO), the teacher said, it's a balance in ecology, and my dad said "As long as you have money, you won't have a problem with food." (I think he missed the point, but those are still precious words of advice)

So I thought, with all people who butcher two legged to four legged animals, not to mention those fishes and stuff, would there be a time wherein food will be scarce? Just consider what happened when there was SARS. Just like that, in China they've killed 2 million chickens on the spot, even more! What if everything is infected and the infection was far more than fast booted science, we so brag about in this age, could handle. I mean nature like science is currently evolving. Truth is, nature is far still wiser and smarter than science. Because any changes in nature, changes that are new, would always have a greater edge than science or technology. With our ever growing population at 2.2% every year, is it acceptable to think that food production's increased as well? It's unfortunate that people butcher food that can easily be spoiled and not bought by market, but there will ever come a time wherein there's lack in chicken. And what if nature just stops making them? What now? Paranoia 101 here!

I shudder at the thought, which incorporates the novel I'm currently reading about a war of Germany against France. During the war the food was indeed scarce. In the book, a rich family, could be considered lucky if they have meat for supper. They smuggled food from provinces in their car tires. It happened to them, but you say war is done by man. But what if nature takes its turn due to its changes that we inflict on it? What if it attacks the basic food source that we have? What if our technology and science are not sufficient enough to counter it? How would we respond? The memories of food abundance we see would translate to total wasted frustrations.

As I handed the bowl of chicken to my friend for seasoning, I get tranced at the sudden dance and massage that comes with it. I just wish everything's foolproof in the line of food production. For thinking this way, I may sound like a nitwit. But I hope this thought might also have come across influential people to make certain moves or precautions.

As the symphony of oil and animal fat begin to make itself known, if there's a basic prayer I offer the world besides peace, I think it's the continuous food production and accessibility of people to quality food. Aside from the fact that it's one of the basic necessities of living, it is also more realistic and attainable goal than world peace. :p

Even now, I still tend to think about the basics. At the end of the day, no matter how modern we are, we all go back to the basics. Eventually these basics could make and break our lives. At that moment, I thanked God and nature for those chicken fillets and offered them a silent prayer. A prayer for their continuous supply to mankind, and a prayer I won't have to use Loratoderm that night.

*All figures, taken from wikepedia

No comments: