Monday, January 14, 2008

Marketing Developments in the eyes of a shrewd customer...me.

Monday is really not a favorite day of mine.

I easily get cranky. I'm thrown in a heap of miscalculated balance. My outlook is too anxious to end the long week as I'm nursing a bloated feeling from the weekend culinary fiasco.

As I got out of the car this monday, with my hair still dripping, the crankiness sets in because I realized that I left my band (tali) at home. There are two things that particularly set my day on a very...very....cranky note.

1. If I'm "watchless"
2. I don't have my 'tali' with me.

And It doesn't help that it's Monday and condition number 2 strikes.

I grudgingly got my heavy butt to the lobby and opted to catch the elevator shamelessly, when I am just one floor away from the office. I knew I needed that exercise, but I'm cranky. It seems to be a perfect excuse for everything.

I needed a comfort boost to start a very dragging and unpromising day. And I already know where I would get it from. Good Coffee.

To justify myself further, I don't usually allow myself to buy expensive coffee from Coffee Bean or less in Starbucks because I see it as a luxury and a treat, but this is one of those times that it is an exception. I am cranky.

I went down the lobby and contemplated if I would walk a few buildings away to my favorite Coffee Bean or just settle for Starbucks for now. It was an obvious choice. Since I'm cranky and needing of immediate caffeine boost, my thighs directed me to Starbucks.

As I entered the expat-driven coffee hub, I suddenly felt the crankiness go against me. Here they are looking ravishingly unaffected with the silliness of the world, enjoying their breakfast and coffee while discussing or reading some newspapers. Whereas I, in such a disheveled look, entered with a messy untied hair, my face picturing a frown and my attitude getting the best of me.

I went in line and savored the visuals of their pastry offerings. A man in white shirt approached my area and tried to re-establish my customer-loyalty role in Starbucks. He is a familiar face to me, as I am to him because usually I get my drink at Starbucks in the mornings or late in the afternoons, which denote that I am not technically a loyal customer of Starbucks. It's just that they have the location advantage and I am the type of customer who relatively hates walking on an uneasy work mornings.

He greeted me "Good morning, kamusta po kayo?"


I felt that he was intruding. Of course it's a silly reaction. But I am a silly and highly introverted person. What am I supposed to say? Aside from the fact that these small talks unnerve me, I really don't find it comfortable talking to a stranger. Well, he is no stranger after all. He is a legitimate, worthy citizen who works at Starbucks and who seems to master its regular customers, me included. This gives him gives him the proper ground to offer comfort and ask me unusual questions like "how I was."

But seriously, what am I supposed to say? "Okay lang?" Eeew...that would probably be the vaguest answer in the book. We say "okay lang" for almost everything. There is not a measure, it's just mediocre reply, or worse, one hasn't decided yet of a particular answer that's why "okay lang" proved to be safer. But I hate saying "okay lang" that would be dishonesty to myself and to him. But really now? Does he really care or does it really matter?

Sorry to be a pessimist, maybe it's just that I'm noticeably cranky, but I remembered I was telling Tim about the new "Customer Spiel" that's being instilled in some companies. One of which is Starbucks. Before they were just concerned in giving you the perfect coffee experience by being efficient and friendly in taking your orders. They have established themselves to be the pioneers and best in the business. 3 starbucks could exist in one long avenue. They mushroom anywhere where there's people regardless of the distance of one Starbucks to another. But now, aside from seeking orders with their American Accent and passable friendly and genuine smiles, they have started to ask how people are feeling. There is an element of reaching out to people beyond the business of just taking your orders. I experienced it first in Starbucks glorietta, near Landmark, just beside David's while I was waiting for a friend. They asked me if I was okay. "Kamusta po kayo?" "Okay naman po ba ang araw nyo?" And I was like...."Yeah???" They put me right on the spot...and I was literally off balanced. I'd rather go on interviews than having an ambush check-up out of nowhere.

Second would be on a Shell gas station near our village. These hardworking gas boys while filling up your tank would ask a lot of things that a motorist should be concerned about. They're like human talking POST-ITs. Sometimes it could be a little bit annoying or a little bit amusing. It really depends on the motorist's mood.


I remembered once, Mitch and I were having his car fueled up at Shell. And the gas boy apparently has practiced his spiel. Mitch was amused. I gave them credit for trying to reach out and pulling out the dragging reminders. If you think about it, they are disadvantaged. They could never know if the motorist is by nature an asshole or just having a bad day. My dad once, out of sheer annoyance and bad mood, shouted at the poor gas boy for being too nosy or "makulit." My dad just wanted to get gas after all.

"Good morning po, sir. Welcome to shell." the gas boy cheerfully greeted.
"1000, unleaded." the driver said.
My father uneasily shifted his seat as he was already feeling nauseous and late for his meeting.
The gas boy diligently fuels the car. My father passed his credit card to the driver and murmured to make it fast.While his card was being processed the gas boy stands in front of the driver's window to ask if they would want other services being offered. "Sir, window cleaning sir, para maging malinaw ang pagmamaneho, sir."
"Hindi na." my father immediately replied.
"Yung oil po natin sir baka gusto po ninyong--"
"Hindi."
"Yung gulong po sir, pwede po nating i-check sa--"
"Hindi na. Okay na. Asan na yung card?!" my father annoyingly replied.

The gas boy, as if hearing nothing, returned to the car with the card and receipt.
"Thank you po sir, ingat po sa daan." with a faint wave.

I know it was irrational of my father. I was pretty amazed of their continuous efforts to reach out on a quite personal level. It's obvious that they are just doing their job. I'm sure their HR had trained them on this new method of engaging with customers. Essentially, come on, they don't really care what you do with your life, but it's how they say that "Hey, we are going an extra mile to care for you...yes you, dear customer of ours.It's our business to care for your wellbeing." Shell is a perfect example of this. They remind you relentlessly of road safety measures.

In Starbucks for example, they have changed their marketing strategy. According to fastcompany.com., Starbucks is undergoing a marketing revamp, not only to introduce their company and coffee, but to improve customer loyalty. They constantly ride on the trends and people's need for simple conveniences. That's why they've embarked on improving their branches in putting up wi-fi and cell phone charging hubs. They'd also want Starbucks to be the banner of improving the sense of community, that is why they constantly ask how people are on a personal note. They memorize and treasure usual customers and develop a homey relationship with them. It's startling at first, but when you come to think about it, it is a new and very admirable strategy.



People like me should get used to stuff like these. There's nothing quite wrong with it, I'm sure. In fact it's quite amusing to hear people ask about your day, even though you're really not sure if they actually care. They offer to be the front line release-busters and non-degree counselors. They want you to open up and remember the store not just a store...but a caring establishment that wants you to be a part of their community. I wondered if the next time they'd ask me how I was I could attempt to answer honestly no matter how unfortunate I may be.

SCENE 1: (All the questions asked by Barista are personally experienced by me...I'd just alter my answers to theorize on the what if's.."

7 PM, Starbucks office building, while waiting for your ride home.
The ride is 2 hours late. I'm supposedly snappy and decided to buy a Vanilla Frap.

Barista: Good evening, ma'am...(reading the office ID)Kaye. Pauwi na po ba kayo?
Kaye: (SUPER CRANKY MOOD...about to burst) Pauwi is an understatement. I am supposed to be at home right now. I have to eat my dinner. I have to work out and I'm dying to play SIMS. This is a perfect example of wasting your time. Pano ba naman kasi, I asked them if they could pick me up, they said yes. Kung alam ko lang na hindi sana nag commute nako!"
Barista: (Totally fazed..HAHAHA!) Maybe you might want to try our drinks first while waiting. You could read magazines para di po kayo mainip.
Kaye: Ano pa nga ba ang gagawin ko? One Grande Vanilla Frappucino with whipped cream.
Barista: (Anxious) One vanilla frappuccino grande for Kaye please. Thank you ma'am.

That was weird....or how about....

SCENE 2: A blotchy woman, teary eyed and depressed, falls in line in front of the counter.

Barista: Good morning, po ma'am. Kamusta naman po ba kayo today?
Woman: Okay lang. (Faintly and teary eyed)
Barista: OKay lang po ba kayo?
Woman: Do I look like okay? (Crying and being hysterical)
I just found out my husband is cheating, okay? our business went bankrupt! I'm still working on a business lawsuit! My dog just died yesterday and my car just got towed! I want to die!" wailing

That would be funny.

But in short, I admire the new marketing strategies of these companies. They're seeing the market in a different light. Customers see them exerting more effort than doing a mere business transaction. What they're forming here is a relationship.

IN Western countries like in the US, locals are pretty much friends with the bar owners, bar tenders and waiters of a diner in town. If people want to look for someone in town, all they'd have to do is ask these people, and they're likely guided. Doing spiels like this is a small step to a bigger cause. Not only do they want to increase and anchor their customers' loyalty, but they're also trying to build a sense of community.

The next time that I'd be exposed to their efforts, I'd know better and do my share.

SOURCES:
Picture 1: http://russelldavies.typepad.com/planning/starbucks2.JPG
Picture 2:
Picture 3: http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/516/Margerie_Gas_Station_Attendant.jpg

No comments: