Sunday, January 20, 2008

Good News Saturday

It was not any typical Saturday.

As planned, Mitch and I were supposed to go DVD hunting at MCS and explore this Japense Hamburger restaurant at Mile long, but we knew it all had to depend on our respective, coining the term, "medical mission" in Makati Med.

Mitch went to Makati Medical center for an endoscopy as early as 6 in the morning, accompanied by his mom and brother, Antawn. On the other hand, I woke up at 9 in the morning, eager to get my medical appointment done, only to find out that the ever reliable Honda City, that's been remodeled so many times due to the driver's reckless road accidents, was nowhere to be found. It was brought to CASA for a general check-up.
Hence I'm left with my specifically Kaye-Cursed car Mazda Tribute as my only transportation. This is the first time I've driven it since that Dec. 23 incident with a villager.

Setting the ill feeing aside, I drove the car to Makati and reached Makati Medical center at 10:30 where I saw Tita and Antawn. It looked like they've been waiting forever for Mitch to finish. As we chatted, we cannot help but feel poor for those who have had their endoscopy. Patients who have just finished the procedure, groggy and drugged as hell, are made to sleep in their medical beds outside the corridor for all visitors and passers by to see. That violates the primary concept of privacy. Tita was also disheartened as she plans to write a letter to the Makati Med directors to have a specialized Recovery room for patients, and not just leave them at the corridors for the whole wing to see. YAY for that, when we glimpsed at Mitch whose hair was fluffy and eyes were literally drugged. It was amusing to see him like that though. He never drinks and never have I seen him drunk or drugged, so at least I get the impression of what he'll look like when it happens. I find it really cute though, helpless, sleepy eyed, pouting Mitch.

As we waited for him to recover from his deep drugged slumber, Antawn and I decided to buy some food and KREMIL-S to ease his stomach nuisance. Apparently he had too much coffee for that day. After buying some gigantic overpriced siomai and overpriced jamaican patty at Floating island restaurant, we went to the pharmacy and fell in line for his precious Kremil-S. I kept joking that he wasn't supposed to fall in line in the 'serious' line where people are buying 'serious' medications. Unforunately Kremil-S was out of stock. It was comedic, but good thing Simeco was there on the rescue.

We finished our errand at the pharmacy when we saw Mitch and Tita arrive at the ground floor. Mitch was exceptionally grumpy and drugged when we saw him, but hungry nevertheless. They decided to go to KFC in People Support building as I decided to get my 'scary-do-or-die' lab results at my HMO building.

You see, I've been nursing the paranoia that I might have the dreadful hypothyroid problem. I've been constantly susceptible to colds, allergies and low voice, but it's not as if I didn't have it when I was kid, but it all mixed up with paranoia and wikipedia knowledge, that prompted me to take a lab test. It also doesn't help that Diabetes has constantly plagued our clan.

I went to the clinic preparing for the worst.

I waited for more than 30 minutes thinking of the possible things that could happen. I know I'm getting fatter every second, but it would be hopeless if I were hypothyroid, now would it? Or I might be paranoid every time I get a scratch or a wound because I have not been able to test if I was diabetic. Now all my theories and all the sickly things that go on in my mind will be put to rest.

The doctor called me in after that reflective wait and told me....I HAD GOOD LAB RESULTS. There was nothing to explain, really. She said I have excellent glucose stat. I had 80, which is by far healthy :) And my blood chemistry does not depict that I'm suffering from any thyroid issues. I am still good at the health department at least. After being relatively depressed the day before, I saw that there is still a reason to celebrate.

I went back to Makati Med to meet Mitch and his family. I told them the happy news. In short, I was just paranoid needing for a quick psychiatric evaluation. After Mitch's consultation, we also received good news that he is on his road to recovery.

After spending half day in the hospital, we were all blessed with happy results. Mitch and I went bade goodbye to Antawn and his mom and continued our afternoon date.

We went to MCS for a DVD hunt. I bought movies, a mixture of cartoon ones, and the Monica Belluci collection. I also bought Juno, a movie that was a hit in the States. And Mitch and I decided to buy a Ben Stiller comedy, A Heartbreak kid for our dvd date.

After MCS, we decided to go to Landmark to do some grocery shopping for the movie night and for Mitch to buy his medicine.

After a pretty euphoric afternoon, it just keeps getting better and better as I walked through the aisles of the grocery. I love groceries. It has a positive effect on me. I got hungarian sausages, mustard and bread, but I felt like I hit a dope.

I met Mitch after an hour and went home. We reached sun valley at around 5 in the afternoon and proclaimed the good health results to my parents. I went to our under-construction, soon to be new home, and saw my father there discussing something with the architect. I went to my room looking bare with lots of promises and saw our massive bathroom for the first time. It was a classic white with black accent that depicts simplicity and extremity. It was funny because when i went inside and saw the tiles of our bathroom, one wouldn't have guessed that it would belong to ladies, but then again, my sister and I are not your typical dainty ladies.

I went down as the sun begins to hide and started preparing for my movie date with Mitch.

It wasn't an ordinary Saturday full of good news.

No comments: