Thursday, January 31, 2008

To fly on ATR-72-500 this Summer

I love to travel, and I guess it's a good thing that I'm not afraid of flying. Rollercoasters, airplanes, parasailing or anything air-related will not unnerve me. I guess that yearly trip to Cebu ever since I was a baby paid off. Also, it must have something to do with my mother's penchant for traveling even if she's 7-9 months pregnant with her kids.

It's really very common for people to develop phobias in flying. I could understand their irrational behavior. We all have our own phobias and quirks sometimes, as I do have with lizards. It just gets weirder and weirder.

Although there is one thing that I dare say would make me totally go hysterical when it comes to the possibility of flying. The weighing in. ACK!!! Are you serious? I never even weigh myself privately. I rely on my mental self-estimates, which are very unrealiable. I don't like numbers to begin with, and certainly I don't like numbers reminding me how much I've gained for the past year. But weighing in public, out of sheer security measure, is way too traumatic and death-defying.

Which reminds me. My friends and I are geared to spend our summer getaway in Boracay this March. Last year, the arrangements were done differently as my boyfriend and I decided to take Cebu Pacific to Kalibo, city proper of Aklan, and take a van en route to Caticlan port going to Boracay, while our friends took a direct charter flight via Sea Air airlines straight to Caticlan airport. To understand Caticlan airport means one should also understand that the planes that fly there are relatively smaller than your usual aircraft. It only has less than 30 seats. I haven't tried that yet and frankly there was no opportunity, but definitely based on my assessments, for those who have fear of flying especially in cramped small aircrafts, this might be a thing to consider.

I could take in the small structure of the plane, the whirl of the fan and engine, turbulence, or the supposed rumors that these super low budget airlines pool interns to be the so-called captains of the flight (that's why it's so low budget right?? the pilots are cheap..well you know why!). Fine, i could take that in, it could be added to my adventure book even...but except for this one thing....please....do they really have to weigh people in? Seriously, that is far traumatic and it is a certified deal breaker.

I don't know if this is true, I heard it one day from a voice in the midst, voice meaning from a real live friend before you conclude that it came from my imagination, that passengers riding in those types of aircrafts are expected to step on the scale publicly to properly distribute weight on the plane. How very logical it is and how very frightening. That would be a modern version of the boat is sinking. The difference is aside from being an odd man out, you're a laughing stock of the whole batch and did I just mention that your trip and ego would be crushed? It's like the fat guy would have to sit with the bunch of body beautiful dudes and dudettes, to cancel out his group's fat weight at the right wing. Talk about subtlety. That would be the worst ride of my entire life. Give me turbulence, give me airport food, give me backache, but do not give me that damn scale! I paid to sit wherever I please, with whomever I please, and I did not just pay to bruise my ego in that 45 minute ride in the air. And worse, the group you departed with on the first trip would be the same group you'll return with, oh boy, that's a vacation from hell.

But seriously, when I learned that we are to fly straight to Caticlan, I must admit it did raise one concern.

To confirm the hearsay, I immediately checked our reservations and confirmed that we are to ride the carrier Cebu Pacific, that has by the way initiated their first Public Offering this February 1st 2008. They give the country's carrier, Philippine Airlines a good kickass competition. In fact in a report, they have bested Philippine airlines in the number of passengers accommodated and in the number of local flights of the previous year. Cebu Pacific is also the pioneer in offering low budget, Piso Fare rates. They've increased their market by more than 50%. They've improved their ticketing, internet facilities, although personally they still have to improve their promptness, you know, being stuck in the airport for more than 2 hours last year was no big joke. Despite that glitch, they've also engaged in high cost and massive advertising. They've also expanded their horizons in opening numerous international flights. In fact, they are now covering more international direct flights to Shanghai, Guangzhou, Xiamen and Macau as of Sept-October 07. They are poised to conquer the local Philippine air.

That's not all. Cebu Pacific has announced that staring on February 29, luckily my father's birthday, they will be finally flying Manila-Boracay route and on March 28 they'll be opening the Cebu-Boracay route! Double whammy for me! Roxas - Boracay - Cebu, what more could I ask for?

But wait, does this involve the weigh in? Luckily NO! Due to Cebu Pacific's ongoing expansion, they are poised to get 10 new aircrafts this year. They are currently increasing their fleet to 4 more Airbus 320 and 6 more ATR 72-500 planes. And if you're wondering what allowable aircraft will be flown to Caticlan, it's the 74 Seater ATR 72-500.

Airbus and Beoing are familiar and trusted carriers, but just for the benefit of my friends and others who are simply curious of ATR 72-500, here's the deal on the Aircraft:

ATR-72-500, is the most environmentally friendly aircraft with the lowest emissions of any 70 seat aircraft, thus reported by Skycontrol site. ATR is a regional aircraft manufacturer based in Toulouse, Southern France. In 2006, ATR posted a turnover of USD 700 million, an increase of 30% since 2005.

Here are some images of what an ATR-72-500 looks like.


www.atraircraft.com



www.skycontrol.net


www.icfn.net


Bravo for Cebu Pacific's initiative!

Aside from looking forward to sunny and beachy moments. I think I'm more excited to experience this new addition to the Cebu Pacific aircraft collection. I hope that for those with immense fear of flying, well no fear; riding this aircraft, for anyone's quick trips to small islands and airports, will offer fruitful, safe and more pleasurable promises!

No comments: