Wednesday, February 17, 2010

More serious Travel Updates

"Traveling is the best way to rediscover the self and the world. All you have to do is to get lost and surrender."- me

"Most people say they like to travel, but most people also have excuses not to do it. " -me




If anyone reading is working in the travel industry right now, consider this as my written desire to apply. My basic competencies are:

1. I like to research and study places, culture, people and sights
2. I am a planner. I like to plan itineraries, provide alternatives and do the nitty gritty work of reservations, confirmations and readjustments.
3. I love data and I love information that has anything to do with traveling.
4. I am open minded and a multi-faceted individual
5. I don't have any social connections that would tie me down in one spot. I move freely and frequently as I please.

Some friends say that I should have been working as a flight attendant. But no offense to flight attendants, I'm not good with serving food and nurturing people especially on stressful circumstances of being in flight. I'm not a caring and nurturing person to begin with. I would drastically fail the initial screening. My personality is not congenial. I'm an introvert and I don't like much interaction especially if I'm working. Anyways, forget about the personality aspect, my physical aspects just won't cut it. I'm short, I'm fat, I'm not that athletic and I doubt my beauty would appeal to many. True that I am modest, but I'm not a liar. I want mental stimulation, reports generation and the corporate back office. That desire to thrive up that professional ladder would not be appeased by becoming a flight attendant.

Being a pilot or an aero-engineer might have been better options, but I doubt my aptitude in geography and mathematical equations would enable me to excel or much less pass. Front desk travel agents are quite the same as being a front line flight attendant.

I work best behind the scenes and in front of a computer. I could be a travel researcher, itinerary planner, corporate planner of a travel company, industry analyst, travel writer and reviewer. I could work in a travel company, in the corporate arm of an airline, hotel or resorts, travel networks or travel organizations.

If this would only remain to be a dream, I would still support the Tourism ndustry. Traveling has served me well. It's a lucrative industry that helps the economy. It's an industry that helps people rediscover themselves to become more open-minded and cultured individuals. There is a more fulfilling joy to this. Intangible, but precious.


***

It's already summer and this season is all about taking advantage of the sun, liberty from obligations (for students), and grabbing promos that would certainly benefit even the travel Scrooge.

Thank the heavens for this wonderful 17th Travel and Tours expo, which promotes the travel industry by bringing better access to information, packages and discounts of hotels, resorts, tourism boards and travel agencies to seasoned travelers and even skeptical ones.

Their timing is perfect since we're already transitioning to the summer season, the Philippine's season for travel and activities. Not technically a fan of summer, but for travel's sake, the heat is worth it!

Thanks to Kat Espineli for sending me the 17th Travel and Tours Expo Brochures. Now, I'm all geared for this weekend!

17th Travel and Tours Expo Feb 19-21, 2010 at SMX Convention Center (Beside MOA)

No comments: