Thursday, November 26, 2009

I must Read

Before I used to read a lot of books, average of 2 books at the same time. I'd usually finish in days. There was even a time that I read the Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder from 8 am till 10 pm, not taking a bath and in my pajamas. When I was in high school, I'd read during lunch then after school while waiting for my ride. Novels of Grisham, Crichton, Austen occupied my mental space more than Geometry. Those were the days that I was able to save lots of money because instead of going and eating out, I'd just stay at home and read. Before I had a "love life" I just stayed at home and read. My splurge was going to the bookstore and buying five books. I don't go out on dates or with friendly gimmicks. not that I totally blame my improved social life, but reading is the one thing tha can effectively zone out the rest of the world and lock myself in my room for 24 hours straight. God I miss those days.

Work that's not related to literature destroyed my groove with improved social activities. My attention span weakened. Though I always have a book in tow with me, but I would hardly finish it in a week. I'd finish in months, or sometimes not finish at all. It's a shame. When I go home at around 10 pm, I'd blog, click on my bedside lamp and catch up on my reading. But before I could finish a chapter, I'd find myself dozing off. I'm such a slow reader these days, I really need to get my groove back. Vacations are the only times that I get to fully enjoy reading and zone out the world. But I can never go on vacations all the time now can I? Weekens are equally hopeless.

I was on a desperate stage, when my colleague at the office let me borrow one of her newest fantasy book finds by Alison Crogon titled The Gift. It's the first book out of the four and my colleague vows that she enjoyed it. She said that she couldn't put it down and ended up sleeping in the wee hours even at work days. I told her I could relate...in the past. I was envious. I was re-reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez'100 years of Solitude to remember the old days, when I gladly accepted her offer. I decided to borrow the book. She said that I'll be instantly hooked. She gave that book to me two weeks ago and I still haven't finish. For pete's sake the composition is for young adults like Twilight.

For a time I was hooked. I'm already more than halfway done then sudden activities and stress started to take its toll. I'm brining the book with me everyday, but it's been four days since I last read it. I'm almost done, why can't I just finish it? I admit the story is interesting enough. Which reminds me about my gym, it's been a week since I haven't been there. My physiological visitor didn't allow me to, but enough with excuses. I promise to get back on it tomorrow.

Now, I'm looking at the pristine book The Gift, which I'm halfway done with. I'm already familiar with the characters and I still remember the last episodes. I have to find my groove back. It was ME. I miss ME. After this post, I'm going to have to read it and hopefully finish it before the day ends. Even at work, there are just some things that are not worth neglecting.

No comments: