Thursday, February 28, 2008

Oscars: Winners

Well, aside from the OSCAR red carpet fashion show, Oscars is all about recognizing the best artists in the movie making industry, right? This is supposed to be THE BIG DEAL for all filmmakers and artists all over the world. Once you have the golden statue, you're recognized for your work, you're kind of like immortalized, and your roles and paycheck will definitely...definitely improve. Plus, you'll be identified as an A-lister now. Heck, one doesn't even need to win anymore, one just has to be nominated to have the whole full blown effect, winning is just an icing on the cake. (As I know!)

But watching Oscars, not only do I get to scrutinize gowns and such, but I get to be influenced to watch movies that didn't appeal to me on the first glance like NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN by the Coen Brothers. It seems like an adult, twisted, action, suspense kind of movie, but being recognized in the Oscars for Best Picture is literally a soft whack in the head if you haven't watched it. Plus, Javier Bardem, a brooding, brilliant, deliciously Spanish actor, bagged the chilling Supporting Actor Award. This movie, according to the Sun Times, was the best film Coen Brothers ever made. Tough.








Of course if there's a Best Supporting Actor, there is also a Best Supporting Actress in the brilliance of the avant garde Tilda Swinton. I just love her. I love watching her. She's like an edgier, boyish version of Cate Blanchett. Her gown even spoke that way, which may not get on the right nerves of everybody, but you've got to love her uniqueness and her courage. She is the type of actress with loving intensity who doesn't really care about the glitz and glamor of Hollywood. She just wants to produce great films and display her intense kick-ass acting. Even though I haven't actually watched Micheal Clayton, which is again an interesting, courtroom, conspiracy movie, I knew she truly deserved it, basing it from the past movies she's in. Yay to Tilda Swinton!

Best Actor, no shit, boy I'm not surprised! Daniel-Day Lewis! Oh gosh, watching him in any movies, with his intensity, thespian, complex roles really determine what an Actor is all about. You could see the veins and the rage in his eyes on every dramatic role. And who else gives great and poetic speeches? And Beneath that OH MY LORD BROODING LOOKS, that certified ACTING prowess through the years, THAT APPEAL that makes me just want to SCRUB his feet, is a BRAIN and an ARTISTIC TONGUE! He reminds me of a Medieval knight, minus the arrogance and bravado. He clutches his support and love like a schoolboy, yet he is a man of artistic brilliance, honesty and novelty. It also doesn't hurt that he is one of the MAN of my DREAMS!

And of course, the brilliant Marion Cotillard, the 32, stunning French Actress that is just so shy and so genuine! She's the first foreign actress to win oscars since 1960. She gave France the honor, the viewers a brilliant and astonishing film about the French Pop Icon Edith Piaf, and she is the Actress minus the hype and the whole BS. Being new, fresh and newly recognized, you could just see her excitement and nervousness. Her speech is genuine and in sublime awe. Now, she greatly influenced me to watch La Vie en Rose. I even started downloading Youtube clips and researching in Wikipedia about the film and Edith Piaf, whom she portrayed. Whenever I watch clips of Marion Cotillard as Edith Piaf, I literally couldn't recognize her. Her amazing acting, matched by the 80th Oscars award winning Best Make-Up team, really bagged almost all prestigious awards, the BAFTA and the GOLDEN GLOBES. She truly deserves it. And strange as it may, I first encountered her in the movie The Big Fish, wherein she played this timid, French wife of Billy Crudup. I may always have a mind storage of actors and actresses in a movie, who played in a lead or supporting role, but I don't really think about them until I see them again on another film. But as I remember correctly, when I watched The Big Fish for the first time, I was already intrigued by this French Actress. I was asking questions on "how she got the part" "She is genuine" "Is this her break through movie?" Thoughts that I don't normally think when faced with a fresh face. But then again, this proved that my oggling really made sense now. I felt like I've discovered her. Haha

Of course the usual Winners of Sound Categories went to The Bourne Ultimatum, and the Original Screenplay goes to Diablo Cody, who wrote the sharp conversations and story line of the Film Juno. Until now, I never realized Diablo Cody was once a stripper...now she is an OSCAR award winning writer. Amazing. That's what life is all about...not sticking to some usual formula. If there's such a thing as HOPE, she greatly epitomizes it for all aspiring writers or artists.

The Oscars was crisp and average, no blunders except for Colin Farrell's slippery incident and Irglova's 2nd speech take, it was an able resuscitation from the Writer's Strike. Of course, Johnny Depp didn't...much to eveyrone's dismay didn't win an Oscar...yet. Well, even though he gave a great performance in Sweeney Todd and I love him with all my heart, I think he deserves to be recognized more in some other films he made and other greater films or roles to come. I liked him more on Donnie Brasco or What's eating Gilbert Grape to be honest.

As for the young Ellen Juno, well she's young and she's got much to learn, but no doubt she gave a kickass performance. She's natural. She's witty and she's brave. And of course, who could ever forget Laura Linney, who always gets nominated for strong performances, and yet to win, and she will win someday. I hope.

The 80th Oscars is over, yet the year is just beginning. Hey, maybe Johnny Depp would get to win the next time around...as a Mad Hatter perhaps.


Pix Source: http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Slideshows/_production/ss-080224-oscarawards/ss-080224-oscarawards-08.widec.jpg
http://im.sify.com/entertainment/movies/images/feb2008/movies_300x400.jpg
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/graphics/2008/02/25/bboscars225.jpg
http://kylesmithonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/diablo.jpg

No comments: