Friday, April 2, 2010

How To Train your Dragon


Another delayed post...

Last Sunday morning I found myself awake in the office for more than 24 hours. On the moment in which I was supposed to be heading home and sleep, my siblings picked me up in my office. I was wearing work out clothes, when I haven’t visited the gym in more than 2 weeks straight. I did remember that I promised them a sumptuous lunch in Greenbelt and a movie treat for my brother who just graduated. So, like a zombie, we went to Mr. Jones’ a diner joint which serves authentic root beer floats, shakes, burgers and grease foods that are more comforting than they are healthy. Lack of sleep and a possible heart attack, may be a ruthless combination I wonder. I had to remind myself that I am scheduled to go to Boracay in 2 weeks and downing milkshakes and fried foods seem more like a death sentence. But I was tired, weak to my cravings and bound by a promise that I finally gave in, silencing any whispers of remorse.

After lunch, we went to watch a 3D animation of Dreamworks, How To Train Your Dragon. I’m beginning to like 3D movies and if the plot is a little bit predictable, I’m sure banking on the effects for the pricey tickets I had paid for. I’m sure the computer animation would be great, but I would be genuinely surprised if it would offer something new. Once you’ve seen Avatar, you’ve probably seen it all. In the theatres, I see families watching. There were no die hard looking critics there.

The plot is very simple. It’s cartoons, it shouldn’t be complicated. It’s a story about a young wimpy teenager, who feels left out in the society full of brave and powerful Vikings. Call it destiny and passion, he drew his strength and importance upon accidentally capturing and befriending one of the most elusive, powerful and dragon species, called Night Fury. With consistency and constant work, he was able to gain more knowledge, respect and expertise about dragons in a more positive but different perspective that dragon slayers share. He learns how to train dragons to good use to eliminate the feeling of threat his people feel towards them. Together with his new found friends, he was able to discover the deeper reason of the ongoing war of dragons and its dragon slayers. With trust, belief in oneself and courage, this one simple teenager was able to change the relationship of age long animosity to cooperation and harmony.

The effects are computer generated while the graphics are getting more refined than ever. What I amazingly liked about watching it in the big screen are the breathtaking flight scenes, chase scenes and the elemental scenes that maximized the power of 3D technology. Computer generated nature coupled with the breathtaking action and flight sequences made my day.

My brother liked it, which is important to me. My sister, who isn’t an advocate of cheap cartoon flicks and thrills, wept at the end of the movie. I liked it enough to forget that I paid 300 bucks for it, which means it’s worth it. This plot may be simple, but it has heart. If not for the lack of complexity of the story, just watch it for the effects and the fun side of it. No need for deep thinking here, this is pure kid entertainment.

No comments: