Monday, June 14, 2010

Money well spent

If you've read my previous posts, an amount of money came to me last Friday, unexpected. I didn't win any lottery. It's from my new work. I could've cried out of relief because God knew I had two major credit cards to clear and I had urgent needs that had to be acquired. With great deal of thanks and joy, I shared my blessings, paid what needed to be paid and got what I needed to acquire.

In a span of three days, the 3/4 of the money was gone. I didn't lose it. I spent it on...

1. CLEARING DEBT

I couldn't care less if I have to sacrifice just to clear my credit cards. I don't like open credit lurking. Majority of the unexpected resource was focused on erasing debt. I finally paid my two credit cards in full leaving no trace of a balance lurking. I am so happy and accomplished. I wasn't very proud and vigilant on my spending habits recently. I just had, by far, the worst credit card debt so far. I knew I would pay dearly for it, but I never thought God would provide me a more convenient solution. Probably he knows how sorry I am and how bankrupt I've become. I may have the solution now, but the lesson certainly stays with me forever. Never go on a debt again.

2. GOOD SHOES

I don't shop. If I do, it's usually during on a crisis or a need. And if and when I do shop, I shop on a wholesale, which means that I buy all other stuff at the same time just because I wouldn't know when the patience and mood to shop would strike me again. This afternoon, after paying my debt, I took a small portion of my money and bought five pairs of shoes. Others might find this impulsive, but you have to take my word that those shoes would last in two years time and I would never shop until all of my pairs of shoes would disintegrate. In fact, it is the main reason why I shopped today. Majority of my work-shoes have already died their painful death. I've even extended their lives more than you could imagine. It's time to get them out of the cabinet and be replaced by new ones. I think I owe it to myself to buy a new set of shoes for my new job.

3. CLOTHES

Same reason in number two. I can't even remember the last time I shopped for clothes. When I shop clothes, I do it on a one-time basis. I buy several tops, dresses and jeans all the same time. If I liked a piece so much, I buy it in several colors. I seldom do window shopping since I already know of what brands work for me. Consider this my last or second to the last shopping spree for the year.

4. BOOKS

During my personal recession (extended till last week), I would go to Fully Booked's site and list down all the books I would buy once I am able since my money before was only allotted for more important things. Apparently books were last at my priority list. My need had become a luxury, which is sad. It came to a point that I couldn't even buy a single paperback. You can't imagine how depressing it was. But now since my resources have been reaped, I've spent almost 4K for new books last night. I can now walk around the bookstore feeling empowered. I feel renewed. This won't certainly be the last book spree, I'm sure.

5. TREATS

I did share my blessings with my family and some friends. I treated them to dinners and hang outs. I treasure them all especially my family and Mitch because even when I was "financially in shambles" they were still there to listen and support me, though not financially, but they were there to give advice, humor and strength. That is more than enough and I shall forever be thankful.

In short all I did this weekend was spend for the right things at the right time. I fixed my finances and acquired things on my own without having to depend on someone or something else. It's a liberating and a happy experience. Now I can sleep.

No worries on what may be saved. Frankly, it's not my concern right now. The saving and investing would come on the next phase. The important thing for now is to stay clear by paying bills, be debt free and using the money for what I really need. Next time, my money would focus on other things like purchase of other stocks, car maintenance or other worthy investments that I can now freely sink my teeth into. The important thing is that I've learned my lessons the hard way and hopefully I won't make the same mistakes again.

I may have spent my money this time, almost all of it, but no regrets. Nothing beats spending money you thought you never had on important and meaningful things.

No comments: