Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Now Reading: The Dip

Four months ago I was slightly pissed at my previous job. I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere despite the fact that I was just recently promoted. I felt the title was just a consolation of hard work and the supposed meaningful work that I should be doing. Most importantly, I didn't get an appropriate raise. Well in the first place, my salary for my position wasn't appropriate at all. It just turned out that I shared the same negative sentiments with almost three of my good colleagues who are also valued performers in the company.

During those days of constantly assessing our situation, the thought of resigning and looking for a better opportunity was the main plan. We even had a betting system and a race on who's going to be the first one to leave. But we still exercised that hope that our situation might change for the better in that company. We just found humor in it. My colleague, Mr. Ivanovic, a tennis fan and an Ana Ivanovic admirer, even searched for songs to include in his personal soundtrack which contains songs of quitting, anger and stress. We would liste
n to it in dull afternoon hours even if our boss was just a few feet away. Mr Fitness Fan, my pseudo personal trainer, would engage in euphemisms in a very brash manner even if his boss was just beside him. Whereas I just entertained myself by always searching for books online wishing for that day when I would enter a bookstore and actually buy bookS. That's when I came across Seth Godin's book THE DIP: The Little Book That teaches you when to Quit and when To Stick.



Interesting. I presented to my colleagues the possible material that might present answers to all our career-oriented questions. I planned to buy it within the weekend and share to my colleagues as my contribution. But something always came up and my money was allotted for so many different things that buying books was below my priority list. My need had become a luxury. Feeling pathetic of my situation, with or without reading the book, I resigned last April and eventually landed a better paying job in May. Ironically, the resources I got from my new job allowed me to pay my debts, buy new supplies and most importantly, buy books.

Since I'm done with Susan Howatch's The Heartbreakers after a month and a half (Shameful record, I know), I went to Fully Booked last weekend and got books egging on my list. I hugged them while browsing and I thought I was going to cry at the counter due to overwhelming joy. I can honestly say that I'm now back in the game. I'm debt free. I purchased new items for me and most importantly I bought a new set of books. Life couldn't be better.

Nevertheless, I still wanted to know what Seth Godin has to say. This is plainly out of interest. I have no problems with my career now. I'm in a better financial and professional state, but I feel that this book might provide wisdom that I might use in the future in other aspects of life. I've never seen a book that encourages people to quit, that's one. There's something in here that I should know and I'm willing to find out.

From my new set, this will be the first book that I'll read. I've read the first few pages and I'm still hooked. Tell you more about it soon. Give me a week to internalize everything.



No comments: