Sunday, September 14, 2008

29th Manila International Book Fair

YAHOO!

Yahoo just sums it all up. I'm tired and wasted, yet my spirit is soaring. Today was a dry run to the upcoming Christmas Bazaars. Today, I went to the 29th INTERNATIONAL BOOK FAIR!


After lunch I got ready and found the perfect flat and most comfy pair of shoes I could find because I knew that it was going to be a part of my agenda's success. I didn't offer my parents some added explanation, because they knew better to treat this day as SACRED day. I got my car keys, drove straight to Mitch's house and off we went to SMX Convention Center at around 2 pm.

The traffic was crazy in Edsa, yet I'm very much like a kid emanating good vibes. I was excited as hell because I'll be surrounded by almost 300 stalls of publishers and commercial bookstores under one freaking huge warehouse. If you can't relate, imagine a SHOE expo with discounted prices.

I can still remember the books I bought from the past Expos when they still held it at World Trade Center. I got an interesting compilation of Filipino essays, freshly printed for 300 bucks. I got cookbooks and novels also just below 1000 bucks. The feeling has always been priceless.

So upon parking at the open lot fronting SMX, Nikkon joined us as we trotted towards the convention center. I started to feel instant separation because I didn't notice them huddling at the other side thinking of other activities besides going inside the book fair. Mitch out of his love and "obligation" was selfless to go with me even though it was torture for him. Nikkon, out of boredom, thankfully found a friend in Mitch. They finally decided to accompany me to the nearest ATM center before finally bidding me farewell to enjoy my book fair alone. I even tried to persuade them for the sake of literary appreciation and advocacy, yet they're deaf to my pleas. Suit yourself, I say. I'm heading for adventure.

I waent back to SMX and paid the 10 pesos entrance fee at the lobby. I surrendered myself to the crowd, smell of pages and books, and hundreds of stalls waiting to be visited. For the first few minutes, I took pictures. But after that, I dumped my camera and devoted my time to TREASURE HUNTING.




I wasn't shopping for anything specific. I have a few titles in mind, but I wasn't strictly looking for them. In these certain events, I surrender to the moment. I know that once I get out of the fair, I've already spent my budget and more. So it was a no rush and a no pressure event. I just picked what my mind and heart dictated.



Hours literally trickled down without my knowledge. Basing it from experience, finding that perfect book in a fair as big as this, is like finding a needle in a haystack. But it doesn't matter as long as you nurse that passion for books. It's often a comforting experience, and sometimes rewarding if you find your treasure. I did. Mission is more than accomplished.

No comments: