Monday, September 8, 2008

North Wedding for Southerners

Mitch and I were invited to a wedding of our special Podcentral Friends, Dez and Teejay, two mature and fun sweethearts whom since day one, I've been comfortable relating with. There was only one catch. The wedding was in Terra Pura, QC.

It's quite a foreseeable glitch because I'm just a south person by heart. I am of no navigational help in the north. And it's too far to convince me to drive. I have no objections to being called a "north degenerate." Aside from Central Cubao via MRT, within the acceptable radius surrounding Gateway mall, every QC place beyond that is Mars to me.

Basically yesterday's event had the perfect equation for me to decline. The event, the place and the date, Sunday, a crucial family day for our household, are real deal breakers. Yet, I never did consider the harder parts. The moment Mitch confirmed to me the date, I immediately sent him my OK.

Yesterday lunch we started our "journey"at Greenhills to fulfill my Le Ching craving. It was, as expected, phenomenal. Mitch introduced this always-crowded Noodle House two years ago and I've been hooked ever since. Despite the stuffed dinner we had the night before at sumptuous Kitchen and sinful Bizu, anyone would have expected us to cut back at our food expenses and gone fasting. But no, how can you ever fast when Le Ching beckons you for lunch? Besides, we needed the Dimsum energy to search for that perfect wedding gift.

After being energized, we did a couple of rounds at VMALL. Suddenly, we found ourselves in an appliance store that showcases wide selections of...well...appliances. Initially, we just wanted to give handcuffs or something useful that could be bought at Ace hardware, but sensibility eventually kicked in. We ended up discussing the possibility of giving a reputable, solid and durable FLAT IRON.

Frankly, I didn't find anything funny in giving a Flat Iron as a wedding gift, despite Mitch's constant bawling and incredulously comic fits at me. I don't see anything wrong with it. It's cheaper to the wounded budget; and you have lots of designs, brands and colors to choose from. Flat iron is a need. It's a reputable appliance that I'm sure even the richest of the rich would like to have. I even think it is better maximized than the fanciest of dishes. And if ever they already have a flat iron; giving them a spare is not that bad.

After reasoning and battling out for the flat iron cause, we settled down as I got Mitch to pay. But of course, we decided to invest in good wrapping just as well.

After lunch that made me intensely sleepy, I gawked at the sophisticatedly wrapped "plantsa" at the backseat, he drove us to Petron Katipunan to meet Paolo and Pia to follow them to Terra Pura Church. Again, we just had to be sure.

While inside the church, I should have automatically ranted about the heat and the drowsiness of it all. However, the thought of seeing the "deathtrap" known as Commonwealth Aveue and bing physically present in Terra Pura QC, kept my rants at bay.

The wedding started flawlessly and surprisingly I enjoyed it. Funny. I surprise myself nowadays. Will I start loving weddings from now on? Well not quite, actually. The feeling of dread still lingers. But I think my appreciation with weddings is different. I don't really care much on the frills, the formality, the type of church and the grandest receptions (Although I'm particular with food). I don't really give emphasis on the "event." What really enjoys me is watching couples, whom you know, getting cozy and united in public. Seeing them in a different brand of happiness, that I only get to see from newlyweds, is calming..not mushy. It's like a poetic exhale.

I've always told this to Mitch that happiness of the newlywed couple is different. It isn't the same as saying they weren't happy before, but the happiness just after getting married has a certain elevation, a certain glow, and a certain brand. It might be too mushy to say this, but it's an enigmatic aura filled with endless love, promises and opportunities with each other.

Even admitting and mentioning this would make my stomach hurl. But nothing is compared to saying this to Mitch, who I'm sure had his heart panting for a bit. But he knows more than anything on what I'm talking about. No BS attached. I've always admired people who took the bold step and proclaimed it to the world and to the people that matter to them. Prepare for the dramatic moments and revelations of parents, friends, officemates and relatives. It's worse than acting on a stage play, but blissful still.

Hurriedly after the wedding, we went to the reception and suffered a hungry pang for more than 2 hours. Thanks to the infamous numbering sequence, we didn't get to taste the popular Roasted Pork Dish and the Chicken Salpicao, which I'm sure were obviously delectable. We however ended the night with a quick coffee session with Paolo, Pia and Khairul at Seattle's Best Katipunan. While Mitch and Khairul were busy talking about VOIP tech-shit, I packed loads of carbohydrates silently. Having had enough of northern exposure for the whole day, Mitch and I headed home to our beloved south.

*Pix to be uploaded soon

No comments: