Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Possible Chef in Me

I love to eat. I don’t go as much as saying I “over-eat.” It’s just that sometimes I eat the wrong kinds of food that go straight to my hips...or my arms...or my thighs...or my tummy. It’s kind of complicated now since I’m looking out for a person who SHOULD have STRICTER rules in food consumption. Expeditions are good and expected, only in moderation. Actually, this is not the point of the whole post. I’ll get to that now.

While riding with Mitch this morning, on the way to the hospital then to work, he asked if going to Culinary School for me is an option. He just said it casually without any serious thought backing it up. Then upon seeing the huge Pancake House Headquarters in Don Chino Roces Extension, I shuddered. Of course, he was asking about this because he comically downplays my cooking compared to the greatest (I second the motion!) chef of his life, his Mother! Well, the point being is that entering Culinary School has never crossed my mind. Even considering it for a couple of minutes, I still didn’t think I would actually dive into it.

My love in exploring, eating and doing critiques about food do not exist in the same level as merely cooking. They’re both in totally different planes. But I must admit that I like cooking, once in a while. The “once-in-a-while” comes in spontaneous days or weekends when I just want to go to the grocery, imitate Nigella Lawson and cook something that I wanted to eat for that day. But most of the times, I just cook when I want to feed people at home having no energy to go out anymore. See? I do cook. But most recipes that I have are not “viand” recipes, but more on pasta and sandwiches. Thanks to my random Lifestyle channel viewing, I get to copy some of Rachael Ray’s 30-minute pasta recipes, Nigella Lawson’s fish and meatball recipes and Giada de Laurentis’ Italian Sandwiches. Soon, I’ll be as effortless as the Barefoot Contessa. After a couple of years of spontaneously experimenting, I have my reliable dishes tucked under my belt, which my family and friends love. I usually make this quick 30-40 minute recipes by heart like my Chicken Cacciatore, Mango Float, Lasagna, Tuna Olive oil pasta and my famous Venetian Sandwiches. It takes time for me to engage in learning how to cook a new dish though. A strong…a very strong urge usually calls for it.

But Mitch has a point. I cannot live on pasta and sandwiches alone. I need to be able to learn how to cook basic dishes like Tinola, Stews, Viands. The only “ulam” that I could cook is my signature Giniling and that’s it. Probably he fears for his and my future. I would understand that, but I don’t think I’m the culinary-student-material, unless of course the course is for free.

I sincerely believe that my basic cooking pursuits could survive with just having patience, mood and a Lifestyle Channel. I’ve known early on, even in Grade School Cooking Class, that I’m more comfortable as the Marketer or the food Prep, rather than the “cook.” I do not harbor the same passion, whether professional or not. I have moments that I like to cook, and I can, as long as there are instructions, how hard could that be? But I doubt if I should even consider it as a hobby. My urges are not really that consistent.

Just like photography, I can do nips and pieces of culinary arts, but I’m not about to take classes or devout a large chunk of my time for it. I’ll learn at my own pace and grow gracefully. Good thing some people have found their passion and love for Culinary. I guess being just a food lover (in the consumption part) really doesn’t count. But I’m sure I’ll survive, as most people I occasionally cook for will too.

No comments: