Monday, September 8, 2008

My Imperfect Writing

I arrived much too early for work so I decided that before I surrender to the pool of emails, I figured to take a quick peek at my own blog. Little did I know that I've been reading past and recent posts for an hour, and my neck was muscularly suffering from too much disgusted quirks. I read my blogs and I squirmed at every grammatical error, although minor, but still considered to belong to the freaking error umbrella. Damn it. It's unacceptable.

Before anything rantings, I offer my sincerest apologies to the concerned few, whom I've been giving eye sores due to my minor and easily overlooked errors. Putting "A's" where it shouldn't be, connecting two different sentences that shouldn't be joined (Sometimes, I honestly don't know where that came from), using prepositions that are highly inappropriate, and sometimes just messing up with the idea. I am objective to admit to that, but I just hate mistakes. I can be deemed as competitive, serious and sort of a flawed perfectionist, but clearly I need to undergo some editing work, however minor. It just has to be done.

It's always been my sickness. I've always written based from sudden urges of opinions and ideas, trying my best to apply basic rules from the start. Whenever I have reports, academic papers, and other literary projects, I write out at random, in a notebook, in a computer straight from my mind to my fingertips. I'm one of those writers that do not use "outlining" no matter how experts and academes tell us to do so.

Aside from outlining, I don't do much editing, which overlooks minor blurs in my posts. Always after I write something, I recoil back and move on. Apparently, my only editing practice is summed up in one step, which is swiftly reading my post once; and changing a particular phrase or a sentence at a jump of a gun. This allows the unedited "A's" to appear when I've suddenly decided to go on a plural phrase or single words and connecting phrases to plainly disappear.

Now that I've read some of my posts with certain defects, I badly wanted to change it, but unfortunately my technical position in the office wouldn't allow me to do so. I have to practically wait 12 hours before I get these things fixed unless I use my Globe internet in my phone, which is completely obsessive....which I tried to do by the way.

Some even say that I may be too hard on myself just because no one is deemed perfect in making flawlessly structured and written works. Even seasoned writers seek assistance from editors to point out "defective parts." Even editors sometimes just do it themselves. But the thing is, I don't have an editor, I publish at a faster and a much virtual setting, and I just hate seeing how I created imperfections. How are those for reasons to squirm?

So, I apologize if there are minor flaws in my posts here and there. I'm not providing excuses though. I 'd rather think of it as thoroughly understanding my shortcomings and pointing out the need to straighten them out. Towering mistakes in an activity that I love is something that I think deserves some of my attention. I have my whole life to enjoy learning to write whatever I feel and think. And hopefully, I could fully apply and appreciate other facets of near-to-flawless writing aside from banking on passion and ideas. Hopefully someday I'll get better at this.

No comments: