Monday, April 13, 2009

Disheartening

As much as how we hate our lives sometimes, there are still things that never fail to remind us to be thankful. Among the things that I am thankful for is a job, a source of income, not only for myself, but for my family. Bestowing us good financial sense also helps in a way. With the global crisis and the uncertainties in life, nobody has a slightest idea on what would happen in the future. Sure, we wish everything would work out fine. Some of us are not even aiming for the stars, but just for everything to be fine in all aspects of our lives.

Of all the things that keep man's life revolving, career is something that I hold pretty dear. I see everyday as an opportunity for me to find my true calling. Everyday is a reminder for me to excel in everything I do and be productive. The presence of career steers me from things that I don't need. Career helps me grow as a person and it is my identified battlefield. That is why stories of its failure, regret and unfortunate circumstances just dishearten me the most.


Jonathan Steinberg, 53, a former marketing executive, has been out of work for more than two years. With a résumé that includes an undergraduate degree from Yale and an M.B.A. from New York University, he had a career on a steady upward progression. His most recent position was senior vice president for communications and marketing at a large organization for the care of the elderly, where he was paid about $170,000 a year. But after applying for more than 100 jobs and getting few responses, he is now exploring work as a paralegal or a teacher. He believes that his age and experience make for slim odds of landing even a junior-level marketing position at this point.(NYT)


I hate to see this happen to people, most especially to experienced and well deserving professionals in their respective industries. This ultimately kills and gnaws the spirit. It's not anymore an isolated case. They have become part of a glaring statistic; and their stories have become a point of reference for us, who are still surviving in our careers, to always find reasons to be thankful.

No comments: