Thursday, April 9, 2009

Good exit, Scott McIntyre

I'm not a fan of sob stories most especially if it's used out of context just to get high TV ratings. I really get irked when less fortunate people are suddenly put on a spotlight with full sad music background while the host urges them to spill every horrendous feeling imaginable while in front of audience who are watching, brazing themselves for an actual sobbing. I know shows have to get the attention of its viewers and a sorry story with a real-life drama could never be better. It puts the audience into a sympathetic and sometimes relieved mood that it's not them on the television. The next thing you know, the show's ratings shoots up and they are branded to be the show ideal for less fortunate to rant out their emotions. The audience have not learned anything they don't know. The person on TV just increased humiliation to themselves by sobbing in front of a million audience and the show is just a one big giant balloon of nationwide retreat that we don't really need.

But alas, some viewers are just totally affected by the sob stories and cry whereas I feel the opposite. I don't normally cry and but instead I get irritated. I'm irritated that I have to witness drama at it's finest without any hopes of fruitful resolutions. And I'm also irritated for being put in a horrible position of either sympathizing or feeling bad about the whole thing, and since I'm not exactly the "cheerio" type you could just imagine the burden I'd feel. We have our own sob stories to tell and keep to ourselves. We don't need to hear more people have a take on it.

With how I see things differently people automatically think that I don't have a heart and that I wallow on other people's misfortunes. Well, that's plainly stupid. I don't wallow on misfortunes and get miserable. Most importantly, I do have a heart but there's a fairly different way of squeezing it, that public sob stories and howling do not.

Contrary to popular belief and perception, I do get soft. But the deal is that I get more touched by people who fight, who don't cry and clearly smile underneath the obvious hurt and confusion they feel. I get touched by people who project they are optimistic against odds that made them less fortunate. It hits me the most when they provide inspiration when I least expect it and not desperation as a means of reaching out. I get emotional when I learn things that they shouldn't be teaching me in the first place. I go through the painful self-discovery and shame of what I've become compared to these people who have major hurdles, but still tend to come above the odds.

That's why when I found out this morning that American Idol contestant Scott McIntyre was voted out I knew I had to watch his last stint. After work, I went home, had dinner and watched the most recent episode. Aside from his recognizable musical talent and his infectious good humor, he is importantly an inspiration. Blind as he is, he was able to enter American Idol on his own, play instruments wonderfully, perform in a global stage without asking for sympathy only for him to compete fairly and simply be recognized as an artist.



Sure, he was able to capture the hearts of many because of his pure and kind spirit, not to mention, he is cute and very talented. But we also know that he deserved honesty and that is what he got. I do appreciate that the judges were able to do their jobs and give credit to what is due. I am not expecting the judges to save him, although I know that they want to. But if they did, we know deep in our hearts that it wouldn't be fair to the other contestants, to the viewers and most especially to him. It would defeat his mere reason for joining the competition.

When his name was finally announced as the most recent AI contestant to be voted off, I couldn't look. His face is so pure and very candid. There was no question that he was hurt, but I wouldn't have it any other way.. He was judged as an artist and he deserved no less than the truth. It wouldn't be fair to the other contestants especially to him if he was saved out of sympathy. That is why I was teary eyed when I watched him perform his last. Like all his performances, he gave it all without any regret. He deserved to be recognized for his talents and effort

Looking back there will always be a substantial reason for him to be there. It's not because of sympathy and it's not entirely because of his musical capabilities, but because he served as a constant inspiration that even guys like him with disadvantages that would leave anyone in despair, know how to fight fairly, gracefully, and in however way come out like a true winner.

No comments: