Friday, January 30, 2009

Another way to Look at things

I just got home at what 11:30 pm? As if I have a new introduction prepared, as usual I have to start it off by ranting about how busy I was for the past couple of days. A couple of months ago I was fleeting gracefully and ranted how time moved so very slow to the point that I got bored. But I think my silent prayer lashed back at me. Attending night conference calls, coming up with various reports, answering to technical issues that completely leave my brain whacked and being faced with people stress really get my days rolling. Do I sound like I'm complaining? To clear it off, no. I'm merely stating facts.

The mornings usually start with downloading a hundred so emails. Some of which do not directly concern me, but warrant a quick look. Other emails just go down the trash bin. And other (least type) emails just seem to lighten up my day. There was one email that my colleague sent about how we find angles and ways to be thankful even if something "shitty" happens to us. Things like:

1. IF YOU'RE STRESSED WITH DEADLINES, REPORTS, YOUR BOSS, just be thankful because you know that you have a job.
2. IF YOU'RE IN A CHURCH AND YOU'RE SEATED BESIDE SOMEONE WHO SINGS LOUDLY BUT CAN'T CARRY ANY TUNE RIGHT, be thankful because you are not deaf.
3. IF YOU FIND YOURSELF FAT AND YOU CAN'T FIT INTO YOUR PANTS, be thankful because it means you have means to eat.
4. IF YOU FIND YOURSELF PARKED AT THE VERY END OF THE LOT, be thankful that you have a car.
5. IF YOU FIND YOURSELF FACED WITH A BROKEN ELEVATOR AND HAD TO WALK FLIGHTS OF STAIRS, be thankful that you can walk.

Minor things that make our lives inconvenient and stressful still have some angles to thank for. We just don't automatically process in our heads because what we glaringly see are the bad sides of it. We're humans, that's what we do best, to complain and make everything convenient. Anything that falls short with that is a pain in the ass.

Things that will not kill you make you stronger. Things like Blessing in Disguise is such a cliche, but sometimes when you think about it, it's really true. If I do complain, it's just being human and most probably the inconvenience or hurt is still fresh. But rest assured that in retrospect, I would still be thankful for it.

No comments: