Saturday, January 17, 2009

So far So good Weekend

Awhile ago I made a blog about relishing a schedule-free weekend.

Well, it happened. I didn't do anything substantial today. Not that I'm bragging about it, but I sincerely feel recharged. It's nice to let time slip away while you stare at the afternoon sun, having a personal debate whether to phone for a pizza or sleep. No paranoia about the future. No financial computations. All my previous worries seem to have taken a vacation.

But I did accomplish a few surprising activities for today.

Well, I nearly cried watching Marley and Me. I never thought that a simple and predictable movie could move me. Ergo, I never thought having a dog will create a HUGE effect on my personality. Sure, I do love dogs in general, but to almost cry over a movie about dogs was something I did not foresee. Having Harvey made me feel more human and responsible. If there's one thing I realized today, is that I completely love that dog and I could never imagine him...you know...dead.





The dog my mother loves to hate: Harvey and Me

Second, I happily got to catch up on my reading. I'm currently reading Jeffrey Deaver's modern serial thriller The Sleeping Doll. I bought it last year in the Manila Book Fair at SMX. I didn't hesitate to buy it. Jeffrey Deaver might not be that famous like the late Michael Crichton or John Grisham, but he's proven to be a good, crafty suspense writer. My first Jeffrey Deaver book experience was reading The Blue Nowhere. The copy was part of one of my Reader's Digest condensed books, which are convenient compilations of different titles for eclectic readers like me. The Reader's digest Condensed books are vintage books that bind an average of four stories from different classic or modern authors. It showcases different literary genres from thriller to romance to historical that's why it's so recommendable for adventurous readers.




My first impression of the Blue Nowhere is that it's a plain thriller that revolves around the world of IT, Engineers and networks. It was like reading a more detailed and tech-version of the movie The Net. At the first parts, I didn't force myself to actually like the book. Tech thrillers are really not my cup of tea. Maybe because I get easily bored with tech jargons and I have a hard time incorporating the nitty gritty aspects of engineering, networking and technology in my life. As long as I can surf, read my emails, download stuff, play computer games, do occasional photo shop works, then I don't need to bother about packets and rams or whatever you officially call them. I thought the book was highly ambitious to please someone like me, and the fact that I've never heard of the author made the book a solid 'underdog.' But surprisingly I was hooked on how he managed to create an intricate, fast paced and solid thriller that revolves around the lives of network engineers and the whole gamut of cyberspace. Just like how Robin Cook tries to inject medical knowledge in me, Jeffrey Deaver's The Blue Nowhere made me appreciate engineers even more. The funny and amazing thing was, even as an ignoramus tech user like me, reading the whole story complete with terminologies didn't make my nose bleed. He has a way of developing a story so intricate and detailed, yet gracefully shifts at some point to reach and grasp his general readers. I quickly researched his profile and little did I know, he was the author behind the movie The Bone Collector, which I didn't get to watch.

I stayed up late with that book and I even tried to ignite Mitch's reading habits. SO far he only reads tech forums and photography reviews, butobjects reading anything beyond that. But I know that if there's anyone who could appreciate the story better, without having to worry if he'll die out of boredom, it's Mitch reading The Blue Nowhere. I just know it. But sadly Mitch, although interested, cannot for the life of him squeeze the thought of reading a book and just let minutes trickle by. He wanted me to just tell him the story instead. I don't think I would be giving Jeffrey Deaver any justice though. Can't say I didn't try.


So, now I'm hooked with The Sleeping Doll, another crime investigative thriller, he created. Reading only a few chapters is like a fuel that dissolves time. Free days will always seem priceless compared to a paid weekend overtime.

So in between the chill hours of today, I played with Harvey, chose new themes for my social networking sites and stole a few minutes of winks. Far from work, wearing my pajamas and eating in front of the computer. I haven't seen my phones since lunch, and I'm not so eager to search any time soon.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n44/n220029.jpg
http://www.nedubois.k12.in.us/hs/library/images/marleyandme.jpg

No comments: