Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Kind of Hang over

There are about a few things that make me realize how much I like a particular movie aside from stating my initial sentiments right after leaving the theater. In movies that really hit me, satisfaction and effects usually last until the morning, a week until I completely put it back in my mind in an archive of special movie references. There is a short list of movies that screwed my mind and made me go on the verge of self-journey. If you're thinking that one my favorite hyped up movies like Lord of the Rings made this list, I say hardly. It's not about the hype, it's about the deep influence it imposes on the viewer. As much as I love Lord of the Rings and the whole epic saga, I don't think I went beyond appreciating Elves and Viggo.

Movies like Atonement. The Remains of the Day. Butterfly Effect. Edward Scissorhands. Little Women. The Piano. Cold Mountain. Dolores Claiborne. The Sixth Sense. Pay it Forward. American Beauty. Girl Interrupted. The Beautiful Mind. Crash. These are movies (to name a few) that have poked me days after. Movies that entertain but offer situations that are very relevant to human society, feelings and will. The common denominator is the scarred lives of characters we can identify with. Their lives are magnified with their relations to society, that as viewers, we connect and think about our own situations. That is where the eerie part comes in. The movies twitch you on how you perceive life. It challenges your character. It might be painful, but a very rewarding and exhilirating experience. These movies offer lessons in life and they don't offer it candy coated. What they offer are choices and changes on how we see things in life. Movies that hit me challenge my own nature, and the more I get challenged and inspired, means the movie for me was a stroke of genius.

The intense feeling of pain, gratitude and transition on how I view things in life unnerve me till I can't sleep. In the mornings I envision characters and begin to think that I'm finally losing it. But a few weeks, I feel calm and satisfaction like a snake that has eaten a good meal. My cultural side is full and my knowledge and human will are nourished. Nothing beats watching a good movie, and by good, it's not only pleasing to the eyes and heart, but it also forces to look at the eerie depths of the mind and soul.

No comments: