Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The new Shoe Trend

There seems to be a new shoe trend. Well, it's actually a shoe throwing trend directed at state officials nowadays. Do you still remember Zaidi, that Iraqi television journalist, who aimed his brown shoes at then President Bush of America? He secured instant fame in the global community. Some laughed. Some were embarrassed and disappointed, and some didn’t even consider that it might give birth to a SHOE SCULPTURE in honor of Mr. Zaidi in the hometown of the executed Saddam Hussein. I also did not imagine someone doing it again, so soon.

When I first heard the news, I googled to see the video and laughed how “passionate” he was. Mr. Zaidi must have been very upset. But when rationality sets in, I think I wouldn't have done it. If ever I would want to get back, I would give due respect on how I should execute it, the when, where and how come into play. I’m not venting out at some dog, which happen to cross my yard. I could get imprisoned, and if sued and convicted, I would end up 15 years in jail. For what? Throwing a shoe at a president? There’s got to be a more “worth it” crime for those 15 years.

I guess he was just, in his own little way, expressing his deep disappointment for the US government with regards to what is happening in his own country. Who could blame him? Iraq was handicapped by war. But still, the venue and the “method” were highly inappropriate and uncalled for. But never did I expect that a Shoe sculpture will be put up in honor of him. In honor of what, getting back at the country by disgracing Bush while he makes his speech?

Fine, the sculpture’s been put down, Iraq officials said. Now we’re rid of that, but again, I never thought that someone would actually echo the act so soon, considering that we all know what the consequences are and how stupid it would look in the end. But damn did it surprise me that recently in Cambridge England, a 27 year old man hurled a shoe at Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao while having his speech at Britain’s Cambridge University. Police arrested the offender, who is a Caucasian proclaiming “This is a scandal.”

“THE DICTATOR HERE, HOW CAN YOU LISTEN TO THE LIES HE’S TELILNG? YOU ARE NOT CHALLENGING HIM.” HE SAID BEFORE BLOWING A WHISTLE AND HULRING A SPORTS TRAINER AT WEN, WHO HAD BEEN DISCUSSING CHINA’S ROLE IN THE GLOBALISED WORLD. THE SHOE LANDED ABOUT A YEARD FROM THE CHINESE PREMIER, WHO GLANCED SHARPLY TO ONE SIDE TO WATCH IT HIT THE STAGE, BUT DID NOT APPEAR FRIGHTENED. A SECURITY MAN KICKED THE SHOE OFF THE STAGE.

AS THE PROTESTER WAS BUNDLED OUT, HE SHOUTED TO AUDIENCE MEMBERS: “STAND UP AND PROTEST” TO WHICH SPECTATORS, MOST OF WHOM ARE CHINESE STUDENTS—RETORTED “SHAME ON YOU.” – (manilatimes.net/national/2009/feb/04)

The Premier assured that the shoe scandal will not taint the bilateral ties of China and Britain. However, The Chinese government expressed a strong dissatisfaction about the incident, while the British government expressed regret. According to the reports, China would want to down play the incident in their home country by either censoring or ignoring media chatters about it, which is what they do best.

Is this a new shoe trend that I have to get used to. You mind trying it here in our country?

No comments: