Monday, November 3, 2008

Attempt to Make everything Real - Delayed Post

Okay, I'm seriously lagged with my posting because A LOT of things happened this WEEEKEND. As I've written in my previous post, it's one of the few things that derails me. It's usually networking or lack of time.

Anyways, this morning I found this on my hard drive. I wrote this last Friday with due credit to Manila Times. This really made me laugh and I can't afford to miss posting this.

I'm on a roll. I'm loving the start of the week already.


ATTEMPT TO MAKE EVERYTHING REAL...and COMPLICATED:
Oct. 31



Oh gosh. I may not be a voracious comic book or manga reader, but I really know what it was like to “LOVE” a 2 dimensional character, yes a cartoon. I was so badly in love with Kurama aka Dennis in YUYU Hakusho (Dennis) when I was in 4th year high school that it took my classmate a few weird rantings to get immune to my Dennis fantasies; and coming from an all-girls’ school, impossible attachment to the uncommon was highly forgivable.

I collectED text images, internet materials and fantasy proses. I recorded every YuYu Hakusho series and religiously keept notes on dialogues and character developments. I learned how to draw. I memorized Japanese songs. I even vowed to pay my Aunt's services who is fluent in Nihonggo to teach me, as if I’d be speaking to Kurama soon. I got another aunt, who is good at cross stitching, to stitch three YUYU Hakusho characters and ship it from Cebu. I engaged in long phone conversations with school mates, not to talk about boy crushes, but to talk about Kurama and the Anime. I bought a CD by Blessed Union of Souls just because GMA-7 did a montage about YuYu Hakusho where I saw Kurama fighting, and I nearly broke down from surging emotions. In my boring classes like Trigonometry or Physics, I would play “TAKE ON ME” by A-HA in my head while imagining the suave Kurama, in a suit with dazzling pair of emerald eyes, entering boldly and whisking me away to his world via jet or Ferrari. I did what I could to feel closer to him. People think it was stupid. My classmates thought it was funny, but harmless still. My sister was disgraced and my parents never bothered to ask me of it, lest they confirm I should be put into therapy. All in all they would say that it's just a phase with silent hopes for finding my cure in college as soon as I could interact with massive people and be forced to widen my network.

True enough, when I stepped into college, my obsession waned down. It was probably because of my new found world in the magnificent library of DLSU. I figured I was so attached to my own obsession that I completely forgot to try other things. IN short, my anime love wasn’t as feverish as before. I don’t collect internet materials or record stuff anymore (most I already have recorded anyways). I continued on with my life, still oblivious with boys, but overly expanding my meaningful network, through books and vast fiction. I caught up on my other readings and tried to live an obsession-free life for quite some time. I don’t even think about Anime often, although my batchmates in high school couldn’t stop reminiscing my anime days for me. I don’t deny it, though. I’m still fond of the phase I emerged from, but it’s all just a memory. It was indeed a phase after all.

That’s why when I read this news in ManilaTimes that a “Japanese man has enlisted hundreds of people in a campaign to allow marriages between humans and cartoon characters,” I got amused rather than disgusted. I know what this man is going through. To love a 2 dimensional character is not much of a difference to loving a real person. It showcases the same emotions and same desires. People might feel appalled by it because it clearly goes beyond the realm of POSSIBILITIES. To love an unanimated object romantically, much more wish to entertain the subject of marriage, is something immoral, weird or crazy enough for the mental institution. Although the love is genuine and harmless, there is always the unfortunate thought of having a one-sided love. If the person already has a twisted reality there is no question what he or she might do next. In short there are two ways to accept this. It’s helpful to understand that this particular love is genuine, but it is also expected to respect that some people might find this delusional and causes psychological alarm.

Here are my thoughts.

There is no restriction on whom the person loves, may it be any kind of love with any object or subject, as long as there is no harm inflicted with himself or to others. But to ask for marriage, something binding or legal in spectrum of reality, is quite useless to me. Why seek for a certain piece of legality when the love is stronger and freely sprung from imagination. What’s the point? Will the character or anime be attached to the “live” spouse and the ability to appear in Manga depends on their matrimonial arrangements? The makers of the manga or characters should feel slightly annoyed with this I’m sure. As complex yet as firm as the exact restrictions of marriage, can it apply to these special conditions? It all seem useless and laborious to me. I’m sorry. I fully respect the love, but I don’t see enjoying it differently by officially putting it into marriage. It would be far too weird. Why make things more complicated? If the phase wears off, is there a possibility of divorce? In imagination everything is free and attainable. Let it not be spoiled in doing the unnecessary.

No comments: