Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Emergency House Blessing

November 17, 2008:


I had a pretty weird morning today with my parents on separate occasions. Probably the matter concerned was weird enough for any metropolitan family to handle. No, it’s actually funny considering the circumstances of perished meat and the uncontrollable faucet activity in the newly constructed bathroom. There’s a thin line in human incompetence against something else.

Unfortunately that ‘something else” is not, especially my family, would care to admit. It’s the 21st century and believe it or not, our family is composed of fairly un-caring and un-affectionate individuals that wouldn’t allow any room for supernatural discussions to flourish. I grew up believing that there are spirits, but they exist in a very different plain from mine and I doubt if they have even the slightest benefit or interest in making themselves known to me or my family. They might die the second death trying. They just know we’re a couple of dense fools.

So after a couple of weeks of moving to our old house, we thought everything was moving on gracefully until there was this one tile attached to the main door wall that fell. Not a major catastrophe though, that could be remedied as soon as we call for the mason to come in. Then without any notice, the internet and cable failed, followed by the weird and fluctuating water supply coming from faucets, not to mention malfunctioning air conditioners and flickering of lights. All of these contributed to our maids and mother’s stress level shooting up to thunderous proportions that would drive my father and I insane. We knew that something is definitely not right.

Last night, before I prepare to go out, my mom found out that the newly purchased refrigerator wasn’t working. The whole house feared for its occurrence since we felt that we had enough of unfortunate events related to the house already, plus we couldn’t find any suitable explanation of its failure granted that the machine is new. WE panicked since raw fish and produce were stacked in the sink slowly rotting away.

As they tried to figure out what’s going on with the new ref, we decided to bring the meat back to the old house to be placed in the old refrigerator. But apparently when our maids were about to put the meat they found out that the old refrigerator was also..suddenly…broken. There were just too many SUDDEN events in a day, in a week…in a month.

I wasn’t able to witness how my mother erupted with the latest misfortune because I automatically went to the nearby convenience store to buy ice for impromptu coolers we silently prepared for the meat. It was a choice to buy to the ice or to be witnessed to my mother’s ranting. It was practically a no-brainer.

But it was the last straw.

This morning my dad and I talked on the way to my office and he’s requesting me to calm my mother down. He says he is stressed while everyone’s stressed with the whole cleaning and transition. He wanted me to appease my mother, as if I’m the right person to ask. He was sheepish about it because as much as he’d want to decorate the house for Christmas there are still some “unfortunate” things needed to be fixed that he couldn’t seem to figure out. How come everything was all right before we moved in and only in a couple of weeks certain things and newly purchased machines started to fail. He never wanted to say it, but he was implying that some force of nature is raining on his parade.

When I got to the office with a mental note to talk to my mother for some pending purchase on new Christmas decorations, my mom in return hyperventilated about the stress she’s experiencing in the new house. To sum it all up, she just feels that the vibrations are not right. Vibrations, she says. I have no idea what she’s talking about. Just like my dad, she never wants to utter the word that there might be some spirits lurking at the house telling us to go away. My mother, knowing her, would never want to surrender to the supernatural belief so she just coined them as “negative vibrations.” As if they’re natural enough. That is primarily the reason why she’s booking a priest this Saturday to bless the house immediately.

It’s funny but no one wants to admit that there might be spirits who want us out of the house. Everyone is limiting it to vibrations and forces of nature, but having three unusual incidents for one day is admittedly quite alarming. I’m not trying to sensationalize anything, but I just had to go with my mother’s request to help with the preparations for Saturday. I’m not talking to any priests or anything lest he might think I’m pulling his neck by making him as my last forced resort. I just told my mother that I would buy some food and order housewarming goodies.

Seriously, I honestly don’t know what my parents would want us to do. My siblings and I have never experienced anything supernatural in the new house, or anything hard core in our lives for that matter. We see the misfortunes as product of human incompetence. Although I must admit I am myself baffled by the incidents as if they are orchestrated.

I just agreed that a house blessing might be the key to drive out those negative vibrations. If ever spirits are lurking, I don’t think they’ll ever leave anyways. It’s just a worthy shot to help put everything in an optimistic perspective. I told her that thinking about spirits and ghosts trying to drive us away from the house is simply ridiculous and a quick answer to explain the faulty air conditioning and refrigerator. I’m sure they might be disturbed because we are here to “co-habit” with them, but as far as I’m concerned they shouldn’t be living and expect everything to go with them on the same plane as ours. The least we could do is co-habit with them peacefully and send them requests not to scare us.

Also, if their main objective is to create family discord, I have to find a way to inform them that in our family, discord is a healthy game that we all have learned to manage. We’re not exceptionally sweet and emotional, which always works to our advantage. Discord is just normal living with each other. That is not a good place to strike. It would deem unfruitful.

I’ve also no problem co-habiting with them as long as they don’t find ways to spook me out. They could even join the house blessing on Saturday if they want. Maybe it’s their one way ticket to paradise. I just hope they don’t play around with things and stress my parents out or I’ll be forced to deal with them. ANYTHING than hearing my mother rant is already a more pleasurable alternative.

No comments: