Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Harvey Updates

So I surprised myself that I missed Harvey terribly when I was at the office today. I so missed him that I went to Glorietta at around 3 in the afternoon to buy him some additional chew toys and towels. Until now, I have yet to fully accept that I have a dog already. Not my sister's, not my brother's, but mine.

I remember Tracy Sugay, who also just got herself a Shih Tzu (which answers to the name Malibu), telling me that it's so hard to take care of a dog, yet there's no denying that it's very rewarding. I've also seen Mitch take care of his Labrador (Rocky) and at some point injuring his finances. Dogs may be man's best friends but they also need a lot of attention in forms of training, medical and physical. All of these are equally important to his basic needs. You have to buy good dog food, which costs if the particular dog is huge and a certified heavy eater. There are also numerous vaccine shots and medication bills just to keep your dog alive and immune to diseases. There is also the need for accessories and toiletries to keep him comfortable and clean. I tell you, money will always be important and disposable to them.

There's also a considerable amount of preparation to be done by the owner. For instance, I already swallowed the thought that I'd be the one cleaning his shit, arranging his stuff and making sure his living conditions are great, if not "fantabulous." All expenses, effort and timing may be off, but knowing that it's for the creature that brings me happiness, it's all worth it.

Speaking of tiring myself out, I've just been from Bags' house after a spontaneous hang out. I took Harvey with me and he played with Dee Dee, Bags' adult Mini-Pinscher. He even played fetch and fooled around with his chew toy when at around 11 his energy waned down like an inflated balloon that he began to sleep at my lap even if Anton and Bags were distracting him. Poor thing. I decided it was time to go home.



As soon as we arrived I felt Harvey craving for sleep so I immediately made preparations for him. After setting his bed and offering him water, my reward was a poop in his very own fatigue-designed bed. As much as I wanted to scream and hit him with something, I just cleaned it sourly. I could've cursed him to death and locked him in the bathroom, but how could I?! Instead I just cleaned the damn thing and put him where he's supposed to sleep (Cleaned and unsoiled), with blankets and everything. I petted him and waited for him to shut his eyes before I left.



Ugh.

Gosh, my eyes are drooping and I still have a big day tomorrow. I also have lots of things that I want to post. Why I named him Harvey. Why Jack Russell of all more popular breeds. All about his breed. My dog ownership history. If you would by any chance find the next couple of posts are about Harvey, well just indulge me. This is a rare opportunity in my life. I would do as much as to treasure it.


No comments: