Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Harvey's First Post

Mitch and I were supposed to celebrate November 1st. However, I braced myself for any alterations being the priority was still All Saint's Day.

I was busy cleaning my files when Mitch called while he was on his way home from the church. He asked me if I wanted to get my dog. Knowing how many times we tried and failed, I was so tired to expect anymore. I plainly said yes without any thought of taking it seriously. But Mitch told me to get ready and we would leave for West Ave. QC to finally get my Harvey.

The excitement didn't settle in until we reached Edsa and almost flew to West Ave. Good thing there was no heavy traffic. From Makati with a couple of missed turns, we got at the Kennel at around 15-20 minutes. I didn't even feel the journey.

As I went in, I didn't know how to react nor what to expect. I was excited, anxious and very nervous. The owner's gracious wife brought out a small cage with three cute 2 1/2 months Jack Russell Terrier Pups for the picking. The spotless one was female and the face-marked JRTS are males. I was rooting for a boy so I could finally call it Harvey. I've been reserving that name for months of endless searching for that perfect dog.

I could've picked any, but this one particular dog stayed facing me all the time. He was unlike his brother whose attention flew around and didn't even try to recognize me as much as Harvey did. So I knew the obvious choice. Mitch paid, got the papers and BOOM. I officially have my very own dog.

IN the car, Harvey was shaking, but that was normal. As I pet him, I couldn't actually believe that I'd be caring for a live entity. But I've always wanted a dog. I've been harassing Mitch ever since. We both searched, called a few breeders and missed out due to drastic schedules. November 1st, on an unassuming and planned day, I celebrated my anniversary and got my very own dog.







As we headed for Tiendesitas, Mitch kept proclaiming his expectations on me in dog-rearing. He wanted to make sure that it was what I really wanted (as if there's anything good to do about it) and I would devote my attention to it. I strongly promised and I was off to Lalaland.

In Tiendesitas, I carried him as we searched for his pet food, pet accessories and pet bed. His food was hard to find, harnesses don't fit him and everything was damn too expensive. Good thing Mitch enabled his charming skills and got almost everything we needed from 1 store plus got a discount. We got everything and I never realized how expensive it was to care for a pup like him, who looks so unassuming and rugged. In Tiendesitas when I tried to let him walk on his own, he wouldn't listen to me and wander off nibbling things, but what can you expect on racy fur balls like him?

I was so tired of roaming around, chasing him with all the new anxiety, when we still went to Fort to pick up my cousin's party cupcakes. In Fort we walked Harvey at Boni High and received a couple of praising and cute remarks from people and dog lovers. Even a hot female foreigner stopped by and asked to scoop Harvey. I didn't mind as long as the dog's still comfortable. I'm the last one to back down. I'm super proud of my dog. He's behaved but still very curious, which are traits that I like.

Upon arriving at the village, I introduced him to Mitch's family and mine as his inauguration as a Southern JRT. Everyone loves him, well...almost...especially if he poops in the garden.

In the morning, JD and Harvey played at the other lot and it was when I saw Harvey run and be a naturally spirited JRT. Since JRTs are active dogs destined for hunting, they're naturally very fast, agile and very vigilant with their surroundings. They like dirt and digging. But like any puppy, his energy plummeted a few minutes of hard play...just like the adult me. But we were scheduled to accompany Mitch to Fort and in a few minutes he picked us up for another round of Fort strolling.

In the Afternoon, I was feeling the daze-tired because I didn't get any decent sleep last Saturday night. Still, duty calls for the planned cookout and I devoted my time to cooking. But it's funny, every minute I miss Harvey. He is such a cute pet project that I'm willing to see success from. Even now, at work, I miss him horribly.

JRTs are so adorable. They might not be the most attractive dog in the world, but they have the finest and strongest muscular structure and coat. Not to mention, they're highly intelligent and courageous. Traits I value more above anything else. Not to sound like a stage mother, but on his first day, he learned how to get out of the harness and play fetch.

I have so many great plans for Harvey. I just hope everything turns out well. Forget about the GASTOS, as long as I'm happy and he's happy. Harvey is such a test and happiness to me all rolled into one.

No comments: