Monday, November 10, 2008

He is not a CHIHUAHUA

I’m taking care of a Jack Russell Terrier nowadays. Yes, I’m a proud owner of the cute, ever-smart and active dog named Harvey. I could never stop blogging about him now could I? Well, most information you read about JRTS are pretty much accurate. They’re very active to the point of being restless. They’re not the type to sit around and observe. Even if they do observe, they are very focused and I especially love it when they do their “hunter stance,” well at least that’s what I call it. (Body leaning forward and right leg curved on air)

They love earth, grass or any expanded space to run around. They like sniffing, investigating and digging dirt. Even as pups, they will pull out whatever grass they could find with gusto. Now I understand that one has to immensely train JRTS to live in confined spaces. Imagine if there are no grasses to pull. I just hope my mom doesn’t figure out the patches on our backyard.

JRTS are also fast runners. Since they’re known to be hunting and working dogs that ideally chase hares and force cretins off the ground, it’s no wonder that these dogs love to run and play the chasing game. I consider him now as my exercise pet.

JRTS are balls of mischievous fun…unfortunately sometimes. They are perfect representations of naturally “PASAWAY” dogs. They don’t easily follow orders. It takes a lot of reward, routine and training to make them do a single trick or let them follow what needs to be followed. On a personal note, as long as you have rewards, it’s far easier to train them to do a trick than to forbid them from doing something harmful that they really want to do. There’s no problem in training per se. They are extremely smart and they can follow commands and tricks easily, but since they’re restless and if you’re not fast enough they would devote their attention to something else.

Just an example, last night, Mitch and I were playing with him at our open yard when he would always go to the other side where bottles of beer and wasted knickknacks were put aside. When we found out, I repeatedly tried to scold him by picking him up, spanking him and making him realize that it’s not healthy for him to go there. But he continuously finds his way to escape from my sight and I would always find him at the forbidden spot. Mitch intervened and scolded him. We even acted as if we’re abandoning him in his cage, which he hates. Eventually we would come back and set him free knowing he understood the instructions. At first he was listening to our warning signs. He’s very smart, but when we weren't looking he managed to sneak away. He is that mischievous. He knows he’s smart and observant, but he uses it to his advantage.

JRTS are also less maintenance. Since they are considered to be medium-sized with manageable smooth-coated hair, they don’t need extra hygiene pampering like what’s normally done with Shih-Tzus or even Golden Retrievers. They are not very attractive to diseases and they’re not so aggressive eaters like large breeds. They’re sporty, masculine and very independent dogs.

Lastly, what I love about JRTS is that they’re one of the smartest dogs I know and I have a proof of it. Harvey, after training him one night, instantly got a quick instruction to sit and lie down. He does it in such a calculated move that makes him look like a perfectionist. He never loses eye contact with you as he does the trick instantly waiting for my approval or reward. He never forgets. But his smartness sometimes works against us because he can open his cage by constant observation and trials. He tries one simple feat and courageous enough to conquer the next big thing. They’re not afraid to challenge themselves, learn new things and absorb it. If not for anything, I’m proud of Harvey for his intelligence and loyalty.

Against most beliefs though, JRTS are also extremely charming, but not in a sheepish kind of way. They would melt your heart with their antics and their clueless-I’m-sorry-I-didn’t-mean-to-stares because expect them to always get themselves into trouble or eventually destroy something. So do not hyperventilate or whack them when you become witness to these charms and stares. Or else, it would get the better of you and they’re mischievous enough to repeat it again.

Frankly, I don’t know why I’m so keen to taking JRTS. It’s not the usual primary dog people associate me with. Others envision me to take on a calculated guard dog, a breed that is known to obey commands and are not that hyperactive. Others see me taking on a lazy dog like French Bulldogs or something. But JRTS, add it up on my list of other preferred hunting dogs like Beagles, I think I’ve also surprised myself.

Probably I’m attracted to their smartness and rarity. Few people breed JRTS because they do not look exceptionally appealing. That’s a plus for me, seriously. I’m not for the looks anyways. I’m for the smarts and purpose; and by far Harvey hasn’t failed me.

He has gotten to a point that affects me so much. Whenever I go to work and tuck him to sleep my heart aches. As cliché as it may sound, I’m continuously learning more about him and more about myself. He’s a great partner and I wouldn’t dream of any other type of dog or any dog for that matter.

Oh, and one other thing. HE IS NOT A FREAKING CHIHUAHUA. I’ve had a couple of by passers saying: “How cute naman the CHIHUAHUA!” PUHLEEZE, there are no white Chihuahuas as far as I’m concerned and can you please look at the genetic makeup and the contours of Harvey’s body? Even as pups their leg muscles are well formed and developed, unless you’re blind and unobservant. They’re not CHIHUAHUAS!

“HOW CUTE naman your CHIHUAHUA”
“No. He’s not a CHIHUAHUA. He’s a JRT.”
“JRT? What’s that?!”
“It’s a Jack Russell Terrier. Move along Harvey, nothing humanly interesting to see here.”

No comments: