Wednesday, November 19, 2008

One of my favorite Good Samaritan Acts

I have a specific desire to help clueless souls looking for the right directions. I’m not talking about giving life’s philosophical explanations and telling people what to do, although the “commanding” part seems a bit tempting. But I’m talking about people who are literally lost. You could see it in their distraught faces and blank clueless looks. Their faces or disposition cracks me up, but the Good Samaritan in me eventually kicks in. Sometimes I even ask them if they want my help.

I usually help those with a definite purpose like messengers, company aides and some helplessly looking professionals in a middle of their purgatories. Just right now, there’s this petite, sweaty and simple looking messenger in a green shirt, with a couple of documents in hand looking at the company names on the floor. Obviously, with the look on his face, he’s not having a ball. He just looks like an ordinary person trying his best to earn a living. I’m sure with his line of work he is overly exposed to the sun, to the dust and to every grouchy people who have no time to entertain simpletons like him. This is where my Good Samaritan kicks in. My sudden daze caught his attention and he asked me where Golden Arches is. I looked at the envelope to get some pertinent data and confirmed that he is indeed on the right floor. I tried to look at the names of the companies, which is a complete insult since I’m sure he knows how to read. I told him to check one room that does not have any sign on their door. With confidence I directed him there as I went to the comfort room.

Almost done with my CR business, I instantly remembered that Golden Arches is a corporate name for McDonald’s. Trying to leave the cubicle, I remembered while I was preparing to be interviewed for my job here, I also got lost and ended up in the same floor number but in the different tower of the building facility. I also remember looking like a complete schmuck figuring out that as much as I love McDonald’s, I don’t know what the hell I was doing there for an interview. It has always been my weakness to ask someone until I was redirected by the receptionist to transfer to the other tower.

So after the appropriate flashback, I ran to the hall looking like a deranged citizen and found the guy asking another clueless guy. I waved at him and like a retard I happily told him where Golden Arches is located. I even told him a shortcut on how to get there. He was relieved and instantly thanked me. As he hopped on to the elevator, I’m sure he prayed that I know what I’m talking about. Understandable.

For tourists, it’s different though. It depends on how they ask and how they address themselves. I don’t really like to attend to cranky tourists as if it’s my fault that the roads are unforgiving and they’re practically a shit load of navigators. It’s not my burden as a knowledgeable local one to help assholes like them. Oh, I’ve experienced a few and I really become malevolent by either shrugging my shoulders or at some point redirecting them elsewhere.

But generally nothing beats showing people the right way. It saves a lot of time, effort and resources. It’s free and sometimes life saving. And for those who are asking, less grouchiness and a simple thank you will do just fine.

No comments: