Friday, July 18, 2008

Bridal Shower Prerequisites

I had a pretty wacky lunch with highschool friends Anna Tirona and Karla Martin at Rockwell today. I gave them Je's Wedding invitation and discussed with them the plans of Je's impending Bridal Shower. Gosh! I'm not really used to hosting a party...especially bridal showers...so I consider this a major project. Of course I want it to be perfect and suited for the event. I want it to be something all of us could remember.

We were able to agree on the date, the possible venue and the concept for the whole thing. But what really made me feel edgy was the "macho-callboy-stripper" guy that we have agreed to book for the event. Ugh. Naturally, this wasn't my idea, but this isn't really my party either. I've surrendered to the fun requirement suited for the event. We are not breaking any laws or anything. This is actually done in these kinds of parties. It is a form of entertainment. I guess it's practically okay.

I unconsciously tried to cover my face as I couldn't handle the discussion when we went into details, but they just made me think of it as a "business transaction." Okay, I'm imaging a Boyoyong Clown hired for Children parties and a Male Stripper in Bridal Showers. Aside from the "presentations" that would be normally required from the professional male stripper, it primarily aims to make girls uncomfortable with kinkiness. What's the fun in that? Well we blush and just feel devilishly kinky about it. That's, I think, the fun part.


Pushing my personal discomforts aside, what really makes me hesitant about hiring the stripper's services is that I'd just feel sorry for him. I would sincerely drop my heart for letting a person actually do such a thing. It's true that it's part of their livelihood and they may really need the money. In a way I'm kind of helping, right? It's a different thing if he actually enjoys being fantasized. But the whole thought is just sad and disheartening. It's crazy how money easily bends people.

So, I've tasked Karla to manage the Stripper part while I take care of the remaining pertinent details like venue, place, coordination with other people and food. Anna of course will assist Karla and plan for possible games for the event. Good thing I have reliable and crazy friends to share this with, or else I might just end up being the party pooper. And may I just mention an effort from my dad who actually advised me when he found out that I'm hosting this party to... "Be careful with, you know, just get someone who's accredited from a specific establishment.." Um...I'd like to request at that time if my dad could actually expound on the word "accredited," does he mean that the stripper should come from an organization that's ISO certified or just pass the basic background and disease checks?

It's funny, but amidst all these stress and discomfort....I'm kind of excited

No comments: