Wednesday, July 2, 2008

My own Bag Lady

I'm not really kikay. Correction, I'm not ma-kikay. I don't really have the usual artifacts a girl has. Whatever I have or whatever I own is bought for function than fashion. Would you believe that I do not carry normal wallets 2-3 years ago even if my friends would be really attentive to sales at Benetton and Girbaud? I never saw wallets as important. It's not something that I could actually maximize. I don't carry pictures, common receipts and other calling cards. I once conveniently used my license sleeve to carry my bills, my first credit card, my medical card and my license of course. But time came (that's about about 2-3 months) that the sleeve couldn't handle the pressure anymore. Besides, it's only designed to carry my license anyways, whoever told me to make it into a wallet? Coins are easily disposed, but my mom would always find the pleasure to nag me to get an appropriate wallet that's not limited to the choices of license sleeves and cheap knitted coin purses that end up being disposable as well. And so one fateful day I got my first "kinda professional girly wallet" Har-har! It's not that I didn't control myself, it was my mother who gave me an elongated Anne Klein wallet for Christmas (out of sheer desperation).

Another important thing. I don't bring any kikay kits....well to be accurate, it's because I don't have one. This includes a small bag with brush, cologne, powder, make-up, tissue and other oil control stuff that comes in a blue paper. At first some friends would even ask tissue from me or worse...something disgusting like a brush. Seriously, I don't carry a brush nor a comb with me, and even if I did (that would be the day), I won't admit it. Point settled, the people who asked me once never bothered to ask me again.

And with all these facts of my existence, you'd wonder how I managed to survive puberty. Well, I perfectly survived fine, thank you very much. If you have a couple of questions in your head, let me help you. Well for one, I'm a girl, no question in that. Two, I do have my "essentials." And three, I'm not entirely hopeless. With the lack of the normal girly essential stuff that most girls possess, what are my essentials then? And where do I put it?

Skipping to the puberty stages, all throughout highschool and college I've only carried backpacks. They're convenient, they're cute and they're well-suited for me. My sister, who is now in college, never for once carried a backpack. She confessed she privately disowned me throughout my college life for carrying one, but I've got to forgive her. She is this typical fashionista. But on my first days in work (In Ayala), I felt the impending separation. With the dress codes and environment, I found it hard to carry my yellow and red colored backpacks even if I wanted to. In terms of necessity, I tried at my first few weeks, but there's nothing left for me to bring, but for the current book I was reading. I figured that it's about time to search for a professional 'girly' bag.









**Love the bag, love the color, exactly how I carry mine haha


For practically 4 years of working and 4 years being exposed to sociable people, I own a couple of bags now that I randomly use. They're not backpacks but they're not really belonging to high-end fashion like LVs or Gucci (Although some of their bags I like) either. I tend to keep it simple, appropriate and most importantly, FUNCTIONAL. And by functional, I want my bags to be BIG.

My family and true friends would know better than to give me or present to me a small bag that won't fit the important things that make me "whole." Just like how other people feel if they came out without a watch or a cellular phone. It makes one feel handicapped. Sadly, I'm not immune to that also, that's why I need a good and spacious bag to carry my variables. 1. Book (Softbound to hardbound) 2. Wallet or pouch 3. Notebook and pen 4. Keys 5. Alcogel 6. Two gigantic phones. 7. Point and shoot camera. Basically that's it. Those would be the default contents of my bag. It's pretty simple but requires big space. And personally speaking, I have a penchant for big bags. You will never catch me with a small petite, kili-kili (armpit) bag, even if it speaks my name, color and design. Big bags are super convenient and unrestricted. I want my things to have a breathing space, unlike the bags used by my mom that has her things super compacted that not even a dust could descend. Whether I go to parties, events, mall or the office, I'd always manage to carry those 7 items, therefore expect me to carry a BIG bag.

There's one thing that makes BIG BAGS disadvantageous though. It's that sometimes that you'd really have to exert more effort in fumbling for something. Honestly, it annoys me and some people that have been witnesses to it. The worse possible case that happened to me was that I was fumbling hard for my house keys while I'm dying to get inside the house to pee, or I've forgotten to switch off my phone while watching in the theaters. Things like that also ticks me off, but it's a matter of mastering the bag space; and remembering to put smaller things like keys in the bag pocket. But other than that, big bags are very beneficial.


Aside from the love of Big Bags, it offered me many comforts when I would least expect it. There was this one time when I was on my way home from work, my boyfriend informed me that we were going on a double date. I immediately said yes, but then I remembered that I had pasta stains all over my blouse and slacks from the recent lunch. I then hurriedly went to the department store to buy a new one piece dress and a presentable yet 90 pesos flats. I wore the dress, paid for it and found it very inconvenient to drag a plastic bag carrying my dirty clothes of slacks, Blouse, Socks and boots. It's quite irritating to manage and see. Believe me. So what I did was to stuff everything in, including the boots in my dark chocolate brown bag, given to me by my mother. (as always) And it flawlessly worked. I can still even put a paperback book inside. I left the department store refreshed, breezy and powerful. All thanks to my big bag.



We all have different quirks and preferences. Some people just hate big bags as much as I hate small bags. I do understand the fashion side, but I still firmly believe that even if bags are seen as accessories, that it should always be functional above everything else. If you're comfortable with the armpit bag, (god knows what you can put in there) then in my eyes, you're astonishing. I don't seem to have the power to do that. But bags are personal or professional things. Bags should offer you assistance and more. It should be made versatile to ones needs and not the other way around. And if there's truth in what they say that "bags can be another banner of one's personality" then I couldn't agree more.*****That's what I'm talking about

PIX SOURCES:http://www.colour-dreams.net/bag-blog
http://static.flickr.com/99/316928653_ca367d52e7.jpg
http://www.parchai.com/img/prints/tote-bag.jpg
http://justbrowsing.lohudblogs.com/files/2006/09/img_0330.jpg

No comments: