Monday, July 14, 2008

Theory X and Theory Y

I was doing a project for a friend the other day about Douglas McGregor's Theory X and Y. To put it shortly, the X and Y theories are used in the fields of organizational development and human resource to describe and understand the two very different attitudes in work motivation. Theory X believers and managers think that employees are inherently lazy. They are often restrictive and authoritarian in leadership. They are the types of bosses who believe that the best way of keeping things in control is breathing down a staff's neck. Theory X professionals are often pessimistic with people and generally think everything is moved by worldly effects. However, Theory Y is just an opposite of Theory X. Theory Y believers are more of proactive and participative. Theory Ys are more positive and believe that people are ambitious and self-motivitated. Theroy Y nurtures the thought that people only need a space for creativity and good working conditions to really love their work and perform well.

It's hard to label oneself if one follows a Theory X or Theory Y. I'd like to think I follow and integrate both if one theory becomes too predominant in me. It's true that I would always like to be in control, sometimes personally doing the nitty gritty stuff, yet I still value giving people creativity and sense of independence. I don't like people depending on me, although I do welcome managing people and giving unsolicited guidance. In terms of ambition, I am generally an ambitious tart, but with ambition comes sense of achievement. My ambitions incorporate both worlds, career and personal life. Actually, balancing both is an ambition in itself.

Probably what I am not is a hypocrite. Eventhough I do see it as a priority to love my work, but it's hard to love my work if one cannot find the means to live with it, which means enough resources should be acquired. It also goes the other way when skyrocketing money is not also worth the trouble when every trip to your office is welcoming a possibility of a heart attack. Also, I do not hide the fact that most of the times I get happy when something comes up and I'm to take a vacation, which allows me to rest and face leisure time, but it doesn't mean that I'm not motivated to work. I'm a human after all, I'm the least person to cry and moan if the network malfunctions. I just patiently wait while doodling around, still being productive that is.

At this certain age, does labeling oneself to be in the spectrum of Theories Y and X important? Each and everyone of us understands our own priorities and inhibitions to know which theory serves our goals best. Now more eyes are opened and certain ideologies are nurtured. With the demanding world and fast paced life, I think there are more efforts to make these two theories integrated. If not, I also believe there is nothing wrong with entirely believing in Theory X and Y, as long as you're not being a hypocrite about it.


No comments: