Thursday, July 31, 2008

Random Day

What a day!

Nope. I didn't go to the office as you might think, but I didn't stay at home and become a slob either. Out of "word of honor" I woke up at 6 in the morning to accompany Nikkon to this Venture Capital Seminar in AIM, which I'm responsible for. Because last week out of boredom at AJ's house I manipulated, the already manipulative Nikkon, to skip his one class to save him the agony of weighing his options and some transportation money. He already knew his decision anyways, but being the manipulative me at that time, I took the ax. Fine. I just had to go with him to this 7 am seminar in AIM to clear out his already piling record of absences. Since I liked new learnings, seminars and missing the AIM campus as well, I greatly obliged.

We were having problems getting a ride to Makati this morning at the time when all of the cars that could have been used were not available. Good thing my brother's brain cells had too much mind-boggling things to think about that he forgot his precious ID. A perfectionist and true to his role as a class "marhsall," he asked my mother to send his precious ID to Makati, knowing perfectly well that we're 45 minutes away from his school basing it in the usual Morning traffic. I grabbed the opportunity and capitalized on the already concerned face of my mother, and presto, we got ourselves a ride.

We arrived at the school and entered an already jampacked classroom full of oldies and evident venture capitalists. Can I say, that because of the set up and the annoying registration system, the trip was useless. We endured roughly two hours of it and escaped. Nikkon being entirely sleepy went home as I enjoyed my breakfast at Seattles. Seattles Best, by the way, has excellent breakfast selections and it's cheaper compared to other coffee-breakfast joints. I took my time in reading the newspaper and wanted to nip a certain page of Inquirer, which features the 20 best cake-desserts commercially sold in the Philippines. It was damn mouthwatering and it gave me a new dessert source for my party. For a person who follows the rules and for being extremely pragmatic, I just noted the details painstakingly in my phone.

Nearing lunch, I grabbed a nearby taxi and went to RCBC and met some of my classic High School friends for lunch. My fabulous Frenchie friend, Leslie, will be married to her loving Christophe this weekend, which instantly means that I would be the designated driver for the whole trip to romantic Tagaytay, while my friends Caan will contribute to the overnight stay and Rosella, well, will contribute her precious company. As everything got settled in an hour's time,(surprisingly) everyone went back to their respective offices and I turned to the streets again, the bum's life. By this time rain was pouring freakingly hard as I just resulted to the covered walkway all the way from RCBC to Greenbelt because hailing a cab at that time was simply hopeless.

While I was walking and with no agenda at all, I simply accounted my finances for the day and I realized that I've splurged more than I should, correction, most definitely more than what a "bum" should. Since there is no particular agenda, the time is not consumed by specific activities. The time alloted would be spent at own whim or accord, which often leads to spending, spending, spending. No matter how you look at it, simply "making tambay" or loitering around would still cost you in Makati. As much as you'd want to be comfortable and pass the time, your options are fairly limited especially when you have delicate moods like me. It's either I go to the coffee shop and spend for their fantastically priced coffees or desserts, or window shop, which I really don't do. I could always rely on going to an internet shop and surf, but it would still cost me per hour and the thought of free wifi internet instantly eliminates it in my option (I'm not that desperate). The only thing that's passable for an option is to go to powerbooks and just claim any spot in the carpeted floor (when there are no more seats).

At this rate, being on vacation is totally a rewarding thing, but it cannot always be about spending, especially if the resources are, at the moment, stagnant. It's quite advisable to just embrace "house arrest" and just result to those Nestle flavored coffee sachets if you want a more sophisticated and flavored caffeine fix. As much as I'd want to stretch my day and invite Mitch for dinner, I mentally slapped myself and invited my brother to pick me up instead, for a dinner date at home.

PS: Special thanks to my 39 pesos Steno notebook and 9 Pesos BIC pen, recently acquired, for keeping me company. I missed writing, literally.

No comments: