Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Looking at Portrait Photography

I was skimming through sites when I came upon this write up about Annie Leibovitz. Annie Leibovitz is a popular and famous photographer in the world of Portrait Photography. Usually behind the racy, vintage and powerful images of gloriously magnificent people, is the master of art that wields it. More than a photographer, this artist is already a brand so she probably could get away with anything. Tell anyone she photographed a racy picture and I'm sure an element of understanding and appreciation would escalate.

I haven't known her all my life. I've seen some of her pictures, but didn't care to know of how she did it or didn't pay much attention to her brand. But there's one thing. I may not be a photographer or a creative genius, yet I always tend to appreciate art. I am less critical since I am lacking in perspective in terms of technicality. But appreciate I have in abundance. My honesty though makes up my knowledge in the technical side. It doesn't also mean that I'm less moved by an art piece or lacking in imagination. I just appreciate and be honest with the art as it moves me, haunts me and plays around with my mind.

Since Mitch took up photography, I've been more exposed to it than ever. Aside from other photography genres, his interest and strength lie in Portrait Photography. And since net is a playground I work with, I am also exposed to write ups and updates of various creative disciplines, which introduced me to Annie Leibovitz, who happens to share Mitch's love for portaits. It's just surprising to know that some of the pictures that took my breath away were actually done by her. Never again, ignorant years! Her shots are not mere photography, it's life in art not the other way around. It really makes you stop and tugs emotions to heightened imagination and appreciation.














**I'm a sucker for Vanity Fair shoots I could stare at it for hours


I've expressed this to Mitch and I'll express it again. I love portraits when it isn't just about the brilliance of make-up, the poses and the models. Of course everything is crucial, but the real effectiveness is to take it beyond the purpose of existence. It doesn't matter if the models have distinct facial features not attractive to basic standards. It doesn't follow. It should always convey a story, an emotion and a plot. It should rear people to understand the complexities behind that grin, frown, smile or pout. It's kind of worthless to do it repeatedly and hope to achieve artistic change just by a difference in angle and costume. I love it when I tend to forget who they are and see the portrait as is. I also love it when it draws controversies, which signals whatever sentiments people kept apathetic about. It's good to know that people react and think. This is not magic. It takes a lot of work. Understanding and performing takes time as it takes bravery and emotional thinking. Some local artists are already masters to it. Some are on their way. But it's good to know that behind those portraits I've come to appreciate, are willing masters that stand up to the controversies and names.


Pic Sources:
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-07/41005792.jpg
http://teresawymore.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/paltrodannerbyannieleibowit.jpg
http://www.cherryflava.com/cherryflava/images/2008/03/06/keithrichards_1000x578.jpg

No comments: