Friday, July 11, 2008

One of those Weekend Random Musings

I'm patiently waiting for my ride home in a practically empty office floor. I might as well blog and drown my thoughts in the clickity-clack of the keyboards.

Silence.

Great. Now even my thoughts have deserted me.

But I remember something that could thwart my own hypothesis in the line of thought-desertion.

I remember attending a class in college where a really bohemian, Japanese-looking teacher taught Psychology. The subject was one of my favorites because it allowed me to relax and somehow look for answers during tumultuous, hormonal times. I treated it as a therapy. There was a time though that we were discussing brain power. A question came up. "Is there a way that we can rid ourselves with thoughts and go completely blank?" Hmm. Good question, shame that I wasn't able to think of that because I was, I think, trying to recuperate from Chemistry or a bad breakfast. Our teacher answered, "You can try, but do not hold your breath." She's not being cynical and condescending about it. She's just actually telling the truth. She even challenged us to empty our thoughts for five seconds. We tried, but as expected, we failed. The mere fact that you concentrate on pulling out thoughts in your brain is still considered a mental activity. The fact that you start counting 5 seconds is still a form of mental activity. Interesting. Our minds cannot just be put on Stand By mode, unless of course something physically drastic happened. So for all of you guys out there (including me) who think that you're surrounded by the ruthlessly dumb people who can't even spell "balloon," and wonder if their brain is zapped of mental activity, well here's your answer. They think, but it still requires more fine tuning and effort to get the thoughts right, but they think nonetheless. Get it? (Okay, redundancy is a bad policy, my bad)

Whoever can do that trick is a master of the brain. It could be an indication of a modern Reed Richards (Fantastic Four, stretchy man) in the making, where the brain becomes permeable. Who knows? Teleportation could be achieved with this.

But I wonder how does it feel like to have a blank mental state? I'm not referring to blankness when you see your crush crossing the street and you feel you have frozen time and cannot think. I'm also not referring to a tragic moment wherein you flunked your exam or saw your significant other smooching another potential human sacrifice. I'm thinking about pure blank mental state like what Siddharta Gautama went through. You actually forget memories, yourself and you ignore the senses. That must be an exhilirating feeling since you're rid of any thoughts. Probably that's the reason for meditation, a simple road towards mental relaxation.

Okay, why am I even thinking about this at 6:30 in the evening on a Friday night? I should be out there, malling, drinking, eating, going to my favorite places to relax. I might actually be endangering myself by posing such a total loser. But I think I've got all the activity in the world to preoccupy me. I got it right here with me 24/7 and given luck and prayer, it won't desert me.

No comments: