Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Another Narnia Review

I treated my brother to the second Narnia Installment last Sunday for which I even committed a sin. I accidentally tried to squeeze the mini SUV to get through the Astra Obstacle only to hear my brother laughing and screaming with delight that I've managed to bang the left side of the car to the obstructing jeepney on the side. Luckily well...miraculously, there were no dents or whatsoever. I made amends with the car and thanked the heavens that I can go through the day unscathed from perpetual scolding.

We literally ran and rushed through the movie house and purchased two good seats, whereas I had the labor of looking for McDonald's to get some chicken nuggets. By the time I went inside the theater, it was dark and I couldn't even freaking see where my brother's seated. No one was there to assist me and there were no neon signs for seat rows. Major pain in the ass! I've never really watched in Rockwell before, but I think I now have a reason why.

Going forward in the initial background of the movie, well the usual ingredient's present of having the good versus evil plot, wherein climax and breathtaking scenes are determined by war stand offs that make moderate attempts to relive the glory of The Lord of The Rings movies. The second Narnia installment took off when the grown Pevensie children are whisked off to their second trip to Narnia a year later, which is approximately 1300 years in Narnian Time. They were called by the magical horn of Susan, blown by the nearly salvaged rightful heir of the Telmarine Empire, Prince Caspian. Upon the Pevensies arrival, they try to orient themselves with the changes in Narnia, which are bad effects of the ruling of Telmarines. They soon joint forces with the brooding Prince Caspian (With an accent) and fought off the Telmarine warriors headed by Caspian's evil uncle Miraz and his company.




Well, it's an okay movie. Enough said? Well, books are often better versions of the movies. But it wouldn't hurt for the non-readers to see this as well. My brother apparently liked it better than the first movie because it has more action scenes and the story line is not really that fairytale like compared to the first one. It seems the first one threw major cushion in the air in introducing the Lewis tales and gave full focus to its development. The second movie however is immediately submerged in more complicated and darker action sequences that attempted to imbibe the darker perspective of the movie. Resulting from my brother's debate here are the details we or...I came up with.

Pros:

1. Yes, more action sequences, although there were few Narnians involved. ( I feel)
2. Concept is more "adolescent" and it treads in darker waters
3. Reminiscent of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy
4. A quick escape from the mundane issues of the world.
5. It's mythological based, for myth lovers.
6. Well produced movie

Cons:

1. The movie is kind of long to squeeze in what needs to be squeezed in. It doesn't have to try hard.
2. It has a peculiar editing going on.
3. The action scenes were abundant, but not really enough to make you go ooohhh and aaah!

EXTRA INFO'S YOU DON'T NEED TO NECESSARILY KNOW

1. Prince Caspian (played by a British Dude who is 26) is really handsome, yet whenever he speaks, he reminds me of a Spanish aristocrat and just makes you kind of pause.
2. I think if the White Witch was revived, the movie would've been better, way better! Tilda is sorely needed!
3. The lion always saves the day...apparently
4. Susan is becoming good as Legolas
5. Lucy's gone prettier
6. Lucy and Edmund look alike now
7. Lacking of action focus on minotaurs and centaurs.
8. New Zealand seems to be the prime location for these movies.

My tip: Watch it without any grand expectations. It might serve you an ounce of entertainment. Do not even compare it to Lord of the Rings, please. Anyways, It's not really going to hurt, but it's not going to be orgasmic either. It's just....o-kay.

No comments: