Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Maid of Horror

I'm not plugging the movie Made of Honor if that's what you're thinking. Although I would certainly excuse the chic flick genre and watch it anyways just to see Patrick Dempsey. But I have to say, he has to be careful being "typecasted" as the suave, middle-aged guy who is perfect for a modern day romantico usually dressed in crisp Armani. Actually he already is typecasted in a way. He couldn't complain. His career bloomed again and he's proven to swoon the hearts of girls out there. But unfortunately he should stay in the modern era. Any other historic inspired movies will make him a fish out of water. I regress, since he's good with that type of casting, and certainly it wouldn't seem right seeing him in a horse, leading an army sporting a British accent, I think he'll be fine in a couple of years giving justice to these kinds of roles until we all get sick of it.

Anyways, back to the real topic.


I was just recently asked by a common friend on what are my plans for the bridal shower of my bestfriend, Je. Let's see, what did I answer?
Long pause...then...none....as of the moment. Thank you for reminding me. I'll get back to you, bye bye!

Just so anyone's concerned why this matter "concerns" me, well believe it or not I'll be her Maid of Horror...I mean Honor. Not exactly the ideal one. Yikes, there you go, that's the problem, as my mom would always hum. My mom even managed to brainwash Je to find another girl to take up the most coveted place in the wedding. (Thank you for the blatant support of my wedding related incompetencies, mother.) You don't need to rub it in.

The real truth is, I'm really not the Maid of Honor type. I never was, and I think I never will be. I have accepted that inability ever since puberty hit. I am not practically good with formal events, any formal events. Something bad always seems to happen. It's like a guaranteed event. That's why PROMS and other DEBUT stuff, I tend to avoid. Come to think of it, it was only JE, my bestfriend and I, in our batch who didn't attend the PROM. We've never attended any prom. Believe it. We made a pact not to be overly stressed with prom and just cash in the money that's supposed to buy us that 'perfect' dress; and buy us an expensive dinner to treat some guy who would take us to the prom. And so we did, we went to the lobby and greeted all our batchmates who magically transformed into the night, being anxious with so many men around (got to understand, we came from an all girls' school); and trying to enjoy the moment. What did Je and I do? We critiqued, had enough of prom at the lobby and spent our money buying us good dinner, Starbucks and a perfect conversation. Couldn't think of a better night.




But apparently this August she's getting married. How-time-flies-by-speech is recited a dozen times. Obviously, she cannot just diss the whole ceremony part complete with dresses and formalities. Hence, I became the Maid of Honor. It's not exactly the most brilliant decision in the world, but nevertheless, it was a heartfelt one. She knows I'll get stressed the whole day with the formalities and attire. She'll know that I might eventually throw in a curse or two if I trip; and smudge some lipstick on my dress. She knows that I'll get stressed and maybe she knows she will get stressed along the way. But she also knows that for anything, even being a Maid of Honor, I would gladly do or be for her. No one could just easily come up and assume the position. It's my duty to swallow it up maintain the post the best way I can. (Sounding like going to battle, Not exactly the tone I was looking for)

One of the deliverables of assuming the post is to throw a fantastic bridal shower, something that commemorates her last day being a 'single woman.' Assuming that is the case, strippers, kinky stories and kinky artifacts will be displayed while drinking liquor. This is the milder or wilder (it depends) version of girl's gone wild. Um...I get the point, but I don't buy it. I don't necessarily think that the "supposed" concept of what a bridal shower should be is the way to go. If I had the resources and the way, I would whisk her off to Bali again, just like we did in 2006. We'll go beach hopping minus the monkey trekking. We'd stay in Singapore during the Tech Week Sale. We'll shop in Hongkong and go to Macau and gamble like crazy. By the time she realizes it, she wouldn't want to marry anymore. Just kidding, of course. (Love you, Ingko! he-he).

Right now as the attention was brought to me, about the bridal shower, you don't have to worry.I have tons of ideas in my head and the worst thing that could happen is faulty execution by yours truly. Well, I have to start somewhere and crazy ideas are always promising. I may never replicate the Bali Summer nights I had with her, but I'll sure damn try my best to make a bridal shower she will never forget.

PS: suggestions for bridal showers are welcome. ")

No comments: