Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sunday Men day

Today's a sunshine of double whammy activities.


1. YES, YES...IT'S FATHER'S DAY

There's an expected intimate celebration in every household as they commemorate the heroic, sometimes emotionally-discharged fathers, who are the pillars of everyone's lives. They're really not a target for overflowing commercial celebration, but showing appreciation to them matters. This has always been a problem for me though. Every year, ever since I was a kid, I would always allot a part of my allowance or earnings to buy something for my dad on this special day. And I have to admit...it's so damn hard! It's hard enough that I don't really like shopping, but shopping for something out of thin air of idea is worse. You see, I think I have given all the possible gifts that I could give for my father. Clothing he never wears. Spa memberships he has no time to go to. Classy pens he would lose in a matter of days. Golf gear that just gets engulfed with his other golf gears. Expensive slippers, but he still prefers his freaking Islander. Crisp shirts, but he prefers his old pre-selected faded shirts. I've tried almost everything that I think he likes and I could afford! Massage equipment, medicine kit, bags, even therapeutic Bed sofa for crying out loud. Some years out of desperation, I've resulted to mushy gifts like cards, customized mugs, but I haven't seen them near this house for quite some time now. He would really drive you insane. But the thing is, he appreciates everything that I give, it's just that he's the type of person who can buy material things for himself. He is in a way very PICKY with his stuff. He's more of a shopper than I am and his mind operates in a very complex way, more complex than mine, that's why I'm totally not in sync with gift giving. I've in a way given up giving him material stuff.

What to give now? There's always sugarfree cakes at Sugarnot, give it with a card and a big douse of Love. Only that we're not really an affectionate bunch. There's a possibility I might puke or get allergic reactions. He might even try to think that I'm sick or something, but I have to get the message across somehow. Anyways, I've tried almost everything, haven't I?


2. BOSTON VS. LAKERS

This is probably a crucial time for both teams, most especially Lakers. There are two main things that could happen this morning. First, Boston might walk off with the championship today or Lakers might win and get a chance to redeem themselves for Game 6. Mitch and I were talking about it yesterday and he's having second thoughts watching the game lest he be very disappointed. I told him not to worry, I'll break the news to him gently. He promised me a cartwheel if ever Lakers will win today. Obviously he is a Lakers fan, he's hoping for them to advance to Game 6 and not throw into defeat as early as Game 5. I'm sure most men out there are glued to their TV sets. It might be a good bonding moment for sons and fathers though. What perfect timing.

No comments: