Monday, June 23, 2008

Goodbye, Frank

Goodbye Frank. You practically destroyed most people's Sundays, gave comfort with your gray blanket to some; and paralyzed activities for many. But now everything's back to normal and we are left to fix the messy path that you took including 229 deaths, 700 missing, toppled boats, damaged infrastructures, wasted harvests and electricity shut downs, not to mention trash..trash and trash.

As far as I can remember, Frank, with its massive rains of arrows, bludgeoned our area in the middle of my sleep on Sunday Dawn. Electricity went out at that time which caused my whole family to run about the house feeling excited and "McGuyverish." I knew something was going on, but sleep took a strong hold of my tired body and mind.

I woke up feeling refreshed with a gray cloud of blanket outside. I couldn't feel much happier. I gazed outside the window and saw our backyard tent torn in two, but I felt the worst is over now. I went downstairs and literally people were still asleep. It was at around 9:30. I went online, checked emails and some stuff. And I immediately knew my lunch with Mitch was canceled when I read the metro's under signal number 3. We rarely get signal number 3's, so I hugged my pajamies, made myself some breakfast and watched Cartoon Network while reading the back issues of TIME.

At around Lunch, fully bathed and dressed up, Mitch arrived and finished the remaining slice of egg pie and glass of orange juice, while I mimic his "shaky-hand yawn." He then left as I prepared to jump into my big oversized jacket and prepared to go to Mass in Makati. Upon driving there, we passed numerous versions of little Venice in the streets of the "commercial center district of the Philippines."

Making everything different and fun, my family decided to visit the newly constructed Cash and Carry Mall, which surprisingly cashed out almost a thousand bucks from me due to their tempting sale items. I got home, watched the reigning worst Movie in the US charts Norbit with Mitch, and prepared to go to sleep full of congee and dimsum I had for dinner.

So far, the metro is operating normally now. I'm here in the office, aren't I? Not at home watching DVD's and Cartoon network wearing my pajamies, and sometimes rushing to take a hot bath if my boyfriend decides to visit me. I'm here, analyzing, reading thousands of boring news with a mixture of interesting ones and hoping for the day to end...productively.

Take it easy, Frank. We will never forget what you did to Iloilo, you fury of a storm, you! Take it easy, not all areas are that lucky.

No comments: