Monday, June 2, 2008

Random realizations

Rational beings sometimes do blunders that they cannot explain. At the end, they may not realize the purpose, but everything else is charged to experience. Shitty days will always come, that's for sure. If ever there is something certain, it's that. But it's how we go through the tough and weird times that matters. If by coping through it, we do harmless blunders and realize something new and to our benefit, then everything else is quite acceptable.


Realization # 1:

It's so damn hot...again. I really thought with the past couple of gloomy days that the rainy season's already here to stay. But last weekend, it was torture. My boyfriend and I went to Greenhills last Saturday afternoon and thought we were under the magnifying glass, which might have caused for the emergence of my less than pleasing demeanor. Even yesterday at Sunday noon, just to get away from home's natural oven, I visited my boyfriend's photoshoot in Makati with ahem...kids...as models. Not really what I'd call supreme relaxation, so after an hour of cooling off, I drove to Magallanes to get my ideal stress buster. Plus, I noticed my allergy's acting up again. First realization, do not let the heat influence your personality, your psyche and your day, unless you want it to be physically visible in form of heat allergies.


Realization #2:

I should stop doing grocery shopping if I'm stressed and with a credit card.

I got into Rustans Magallanes and was immediately hooked to the sight of the fresh produce lined up at the start of the cue. It battled out my rotten thoughts, which caused me stress and paranoia. I immediately embraced the sight and got stuff that I thought I needed. I got apples. All different kinds of apples, washingtons and fuji's. It must be the smoothness, the color red or it merely represents temptation. Some are packed in half a dozens and some are already cut and ready to eat. I love apples and stacking them up at my cart somehow..in a way..relieved me. I started to look around. Next stop was getting fish fillet at the cold counter and some processed european meats. As I was on my way to the counter, I saw these Starbucks Frappuccinno bottles! I was amused and amazed. They're same size as Gatorade, but more enticingly packed. I got a couple, of course.






Eventually, I reached the finish line and was offered a free taste of Haagen Dazs new ice cream flavor, Apple Caramel Crumble. It was good. Really good. Then, I heard voices. But I saw the Counterlady (an Angel, apparently) calling my attention to check out. I pushed the cart and released myself from Haagen Dazs' grasp.

As I was getting the contents out of my cart, I didn't realize that I got so many very ripe apples. Before doing any financial damage control, I was already asked to pay a whopping 995 pesos. By not being an inconvenience to the person behind me I swallowed my irresponsibility. Took out my credit card and hoped for the best.

At the end I went out with four large plastics, limited product variations, which cost me 995. Seeing the apples as I put it in my car, I wish at that time I knew how to make Apple Pies.

Lesson learned, never do grocery shopping when you're bothered, stressed or depressed. It's the same thing as going loco-shopping or in an eating frenzy.


Realization 3:

I went home, gave the apples to the maid and asked her to feed apples to everyone in the house, so as not to make it an entire waste. Then, I pulled myself together and felt the desire to watch a good mellow movie. I browsed my un-touched DVD titles and immediately picked the movie, Love in the Time of Cholera, based from the book of Gabriel Garcia Marquez.




Realization number three, watching Javier Bardiem pr any other sizzling thespian (with the likes of Daniel Day Lewis, Colin Farrell, Gerard Butler, Clive Owen, Christian Bale) in a movie with a passionate plot backed by sensual scenes on a very scorching dull hot day, is not really advisable. Daydreaming is inevitable. It'll drive your mind insane and cause inevitable danger to your loins. Unless, you want it.


Realization # 4:

After mass my family went to Makati and took advantage of the weekend sale in Glorietta. And when I say sale in any other major malls, means long ATM queues, overcrowding of good restaurants, passageways susceptible to unwanted skin contacts and bumping into people you know, mostly whom you don't want to see.



Realization number four, find an ally at moments like these. Grab the opportunity of a better company. If both of you do not like mall window shopping activities, grab the opportunity to bond and enjoy an ice cream together in a comfortable, cozy restaurant far away from the mainstream thoroughfare. Or if there's no ally to be found, just find the perfect restaurant and avoid the mall at all cost.


Realization # 5:


If your're going to eat at Italianni's, make sure you specify that the complimentary bread should be soft and crusty, not like a poor imitation of breadsticks. Also, skip the other overly familiar spaghetti dishes and pizza. Go directly for the SALMON DILL PIZZA (450 Pesos), one of a kind, highly recommended. YUMMIE, with the capital Y!

And if you parked at Park Square 1 (Near Dusit Hotel), on a weekend sale, prepare to endure an eternal traffic before getting to the toll. Give it roughly 15 minutes to go down each floor. It's either the drivers worked on consensus, the inefficiency of toll ladies or the never ending spiral architecture that makes you feel woozy and hypnotized.

2 comments:

kegler747 said...

Thanks for offering some of your fruits :)

And also, I'm so curious of the taste of that Apple Caramel Crumble from Haagen Daz... Whatever happens, I still prefer Ben & Jerry's ;)

kaye layson said...

Haha I think we already had a conversation about this one day. Ben & Jerry's vs. Haagen Dazs! I'm just going to wait for you to open a restaurant and of course, discounted Ben and Jerry's banana split for us! haha