Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day Movies

Sometimes I get really touched to the point of being icky when I watch special movies that pertain to fathers. I may be very emotionally-inept than normal, but I can say I'm a certified daddy's girl.

He is a powerful individual in my life, has a great influence in me. He seldom talks yet his opinions are like big anchors that truly matter. He is an ideal man in my life, sorry, but he is my basis. Never have I felt deprived in my life. Overprotected, yes, very, but not deprived of the things that I want. He taught me well to be independent and not ask for any favors material or not, but I never asked for anything since he never gave me any reason to. He is the supreme provider, hardworker and a wise man, that thinking life without him would make me feel handicapped.

I might also have inherited his being 'tough', emotionally detached and a bit loony, yet irrational as we are, we perfectly understand each other. I love him, but in truth I fear him as well. I think there is no point of denying that fact.

These things I write here, he may never know in detail. We are not that expressive with emotions anyways. A simple hug and an adult gradual conversation will suffice. I would always be his daughter and he would always be my father.

It's funny but sometimes I compete with him too. I prove myself to him more than I should. I want to be just like him, better even. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but he gives us room to test the limits. He gets exhausted, but he's still there. He never stops trying.

I should have limited this "father stuff" in one entry, but I couldn't help it. I just watched Father of the Bride Part 1 starring Steve Martin, Diane Keaton and Kimberly Williams before lunch. The first time I watched this film was when I rented it in some laser disc rental store. When I was a kid I would always accompany my dad to a Laser Disc rental Store. That was our bonding time, not with my mom's and not with my sister, but my quality time with my dad. We could've continued it now, but technology made everything kind of different.

Then I got to thinking of the my favorite movies that tugged my heart at some point, since my weakness really is my father.

Here are some I could remember now but not necessarily in chronological order.


1. Father of the Bride Parts 1 and 2
2. Nothing in Common
3. Big Fish
4. Kramer vs. Kramer
5. Mrs. Doubtfire
6. Oscar (Not really a father's type of movie, but funny all the same)
7. Sound of Music (Very)
8. Lorenzo's oil
9. Dad
10. A Time to kill
11. The Patriot

Those are just a few I can remember at this point. These are not really tear jerkers, but they drive home the point about the hardships, the fun side and the role of fathers in every kid's life.

No comments: