Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Take on NBA Game Today

I know someone who is a die-hard Lakers fan and he vows to stage a hunger strike in front of his house if the Lakers will be swept by the Boston Celtics. He is particularly taken with Kobe Bryant and his brilliance in the ball game. Bryant apparently is the closest person worthy of being compared to the legendary player Michael Jordan. That someone I know religiously watched live feeds of the past two final games at work. He never missed it. But for the past two games he was devastated.

I was talking to him last night and liked to poke at the open wound full of anxiety and uncertainty. Lakers will again face Celtics today at their Westside home court, which may open possibilities to turn against Celtics' consecutive winning streak. It is a probable wager, but the focus now weighs on Lakers to win a game. The pressure lies in performing their best in their own homecourt and rescuing themselves from a fall towards the 3-0 curse of the NBA finals league. The person I know told me that no losing team has ever won or gone back with a 3-0 record in the finals game. Talk about pressure.

I'm not really a fan of basketball, but I like how serious (at least in this country) and updated people are in terms of its developments that even basketball-ignorants like me get informed. Without any harbored sentiments or preference, I would always say that may the best team win. But admittedly, it's funner and more exhilarating if the games progress neck on neck until it reaches the final straw in Game 7, wherein almost everyone is at their wits hanging on to dear orgasmic victory. All for the sake of sporting entertainment. Now that's global fun.

No comments: