Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Uriticaria 101

I cannot resist to post this.

I have to explain urticaria lest people would deliberately avoid me.

It's not a DISEASE - disease, it's a type of skin allergy. And it's not contagious. Just like asthma, it attacks when it's provoked and usually it has a sort of temper. Sometimes it doesn't make its presence known but sometimes it's on a rampage.

The usual attributes of this "hassle-hoff" condition is intense itchiness, and it's not the type of itching you could bear on a superficial level. One brush, not even a scratch, could make the skin very red. Once it's initiated, might as well just watch TV and suffer.

Even if you've mastered controlling your desire to scratch yourself, the wet maps with little points in the controlled area of your skin will appear. Mine usually appears on both arms and both calves (not legs). It's funny but they are controlled in those areas alone. Sometimes it's on the neck and sometimes it's on the back and tummy.

50% of the cause is unknown, so practically you're walking on eggshells. I, specifically can eat tons of seafood and there's a possibility it would or wouldn't happen. I can try to go to beaches, provided that I have my allergy meds with me. I am particular of the clothing and bedsheet material, and most especially I avoid the heat or direct sun exposure. So sun bathing, saunas and bikram yogas are out. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it doesn't.

But according to Wikipedia, those are not only the causes of Urticaria...

Uriticaria is a skin condition, commonly caused by an allergic reaction, that is characterized by raised red skin wheals (welts). It is also known as nettle rash or uredo. Wheals from urticaria can appear anywhere on the body, including the face, lips, tongue, throat, and ears. The wheals may vary in size from about 5 mm (0.2 inches) in diameter to the size of a dinner plate; they typically itch severely, sting, or burn, and often have a pale border. Urticaria is generally caused by direct contact with an allergenic substance, or an immune response to food or some other allergen, but can also appear for other reasons, notably emotional stress. The rash can be triggered by quite innocent events, such as mere rubbing or exposure to cold.
I believe at this particular attack, I know the culprit. And with that, I rest my case

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Anonymous said...

ha, I will try out my thought, your post bring me some good ideas, it's truly amazing, thanks.

- Norman