Wednesday, August 20, 2008

After Reading TWILIGHT

After reading Twilight, I must admit...I'll be reading NEW MOON shortly...

I never envisioned myself to be writing a post about Twilight because of my apprehensions in reading it. Even though I've been a passive witness to the rise of popularity of the book installments, I find the story so typical; and when it comes to vampires, I have very high standards. The only vampire character that I truly and madly accept is Bram Stoker's version, Dracula, where Gary Oldman brilliantly gave life to it. The other versions, unfortunately even Buffy, did not appeal to me. So it took me till the fourth book to go beyond mere glancing of its intriguing covers.



Last Monday, I decided to buy the first book just to see what it's all about. Since it was a freebie from Mitch, I was pretty encouraged to be loose with the selection process. If I wouldn't like the book, since a teenage romance-vampire concept is not my cup of tea, then I'd just be glad to get a chance to read it and no harm will be done since my saga would just evidently stop there.

But I was surprised to observe myself intensely hooked. I happened to finish the copy this morning, which forced me to read the blasted corporate manual instead. It is definitely a light read. The story is very fluid and the pace is very amusing, yet fast. But I think that's not the entire and only reason why it was able to anchor a certain level of popularity. I believe it has something to do with the main characters, the vampires in particular. Put a family of intensely good looking, skilled and powerful vampires, you got yourself a contender. But emphasize on the romantic plot of the two love-struck vampire-human characters, mixed with fast paced chases and subplots, and you got a bestseller.

The novel is a mixture of fantasy without losing its reality touch. It invokes mythical concepts with attempts of its own "vampirical" version. It integrates the thinking of vampires and humans candidly; not to mention the characters that would make you swoon in delight. It's RL Stine fused with Anne Rice and young Judith McNaught.

But do not expect the book to invoke an entirely different world like what JK Rowling created. Some might be looking for more in terms of detailed world difference. This is not entirely an escapist novel that takes you to another world. Usually, what you already know about vampires from hundreds of stories and versions, are just magnificently repeated and reminded in this book. Some information, which we all know about vampires, just rely on common sense. Usually, i wasn't shocked nor surprised about certain explanations of their kind. I'm sure most of it I've read and seen through the eyes of Anne Rice and Bram Stoker. If you've seen the movies Underworld, Interview with the Vampire, Queen of the Damned and Skinwalkers, you're probably going to get the same concept. If there's a variation, it would only be minimal (which I wouldn't spoil here). The rest of vampire attributes like strength, intensified senses, speed, beauty, immortality and morality are pretty much covered in this book. So it's really entirely not the plot in itself, but most probably it was how the characters were molded. The story takes a fast paced and interesting flow, which accounts for its light and voracious read.

Actually, I heard from a friend awhile ago that the movie is already in post production. This friend of mine, a Harry Potter follower, mentioned that Edward (the beautiful main character-vampire), will be played by the actor who played Cedric Diggory in the HP Goblet of Fire. I mused and immediately googled it down as soon as I got home. And pretty much, when I saw the cast, I was impressed. They almost got the characteristics 100%, especially Emmett who looked exactly as how I pictured him in my mind while reading the book. Good character development and casting for the movie, entail brighter promises.

I'm not considered a die-hard fan...yet, but I must admit I'll be buying the rest of the saga this weekend, just to save time covering the books; and banking on the momentum of literary high brought by these interesting characters. Yes, I admit I'm happily poisoned.


PIX:
http://blog.ugo.com/images/uploads/twilight_book_cover.jpg

No comments: