Sunday, August 31, 2008

Transitioning to New Moon

So I finished New Moon by Stephanie Meyer yesterday at 8 am, but didn't get to write about it much since I was busy as soon as I got off the bed. I found the second book..okay. I simply see it as a literary bridge to the assumed "more exciting" third book. This second installment centers at the emotional recovery of a teenager written in a female perspective. Well, I don't particularly find it fun and exciting to read some cheesy lovestruck chapters. I've had enough of that in highschool and college and as far as I can remember, we were really not that dramatic...or maybe it was just me. Often times I want to skip it like going straight to dessert.

Even in terms of the "kilig" factor, I liked the first book better. This second book is all about the "other" guy, the Paris version of Romeo and Juliet, who happens to be a werewolf. Incidentally he falls in love with the human lead girl Bella, which completes the whole love triangle story of a human, a vampire and a werewolf. Only that the grounding concept is that vampires and werewolves are mortal enemies, and both can easily kill the human. It just complicates things into another level, perfect. Love and Race in anyone's relationship is doomed to further complications, trials and eventual doom. That's a more interesting turn of events. As far as the kilig factor is concerned, It wasn't THAT kilig. In fact, it's traditionally cheesy. The kilig factor ultimately fizzles out when it's too sweet for comfort or when it's too damn obvious. Kilig should be an emotional cliffhanger and not an exaggeration. However, the story cannot simply concentrate on the Vampire-Human relationship struggles otherwise it would be endless and boring. It needs something else; and apparently a handsome, powerful werewolf the is the "else". Despite the danger of being dinner for her two potential lovers, the girl, the human is still lucky in love.

I put the book aside and looked at the third installment at the other desk waiting to be read. My mood didn't want me to cooperate that's why I decided to hold it off for later, or maybe for tonight. Seriously, I felt I didn't do anything extremely productive today. If uploading photos complete with captions and blogging are productive, then I guess I have points there. Even ideas that usually splash in my head seem to come to a halt. Probably it's the human calm after the glorious turmoil. Maybe I'm facing a transition to a better chapter, like how I found myself a New Moon.

No comments: