Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Half Day Accomplishment

I love it when I finish everything that I'm tasked to do before lunch. Everytime I do, I feel my days are longer and everything's brighter (despite the literal gloom). I'm more energetic and accommodating to people; and it makes me want to celebrate by cooking something, which I will do this afternoon. The only bad part of the whole process is waking up really really early and going through the whole morning routine when you're supposed to be at home, waking up at brunch. But after that, everything will be breezy as long as you keep a positive perspective.

I asked my dad to drop me off at BIR to fix certain papers as part of my requirements to my new employer. I have a deadline by Friday and I really wanted to get a head start on things. While going there I was preparing myself to face a hectic space cramped with people. I even internalized to wait for a few hours just to get a few things done. But when I arrived there at 7:05 AM, the Atrium was still pretty quiet and spotless. But when I reached the 5th floor, there were already BIR officers transacting with a couple of people. I figured they just start early. Looking for instructions where to proceed, there was a man who immediately approached me and offered his assistance. Insulting his goodwill in my mind (I thought he was a fixer), it turned out he was some sort of officer in BIR. Silly me. I explained my purpose as he checked my file in his computer. He already told me what to do and directed me to this very efficient and cheerful woman (cheerful at 7 am, bless her), to process my papers. By 7:45 I was out of the building.

I went out and tried to look for a taxi. The building guard offered his help and in a few minutes, got me one. I started to think of my good fortune as I went to Makati City Hall. I thought about bad things that could happen for the day since everything's going as planned. Not all days are good to me. I stopped and just realized that I was such a natural pessimist.

Upon arriving at Makati City Hall I was astonished to find that the building was so developed, modernized and better than any other Makati offices in the area. It was my first time there and I was very impressed. Comparing this city hall to other city halls in provinces just make you want to gag and transfer locations. People were friendly and accommodating, offices are very well air-conditioned, spacious and well-lighted. Computers/equipments are modern and updated (flat screens). But my transaction was pretty expensive (double ouch) with the community tax certificate and notary services. It nearly cost me a thousand bucks.

Nevertheless I was done with my morning tasks by 9 and felt my stomach hurling. I grabbed a taxi, again assisted by city hall guard, and asked to be dropped at Greenbelt. I went to Seattle's best, got the regular breakfast combo and decided to try their honey iced tea, which I now love. I read newspapers, magazines and inevitably got my notebook (a literal one) and started to jot down activities and ideas. I was sitting there, completely oblivious to the world and realized that I've been sitting there for more than an hour already, probably looking catatonic to some. But the best part of it is, I felt refreshed and at peace. After a productive early morning, a perfect alone time is what I needed (with a good and smashing breakfast). At around 10, I got a call from Mitch as he was on his way to Davao. It somehow jolted me back to reality. I then started to think of a devilish plan for this afternoon. I realized that I wanted to cook and possibly invite a few friends over. So, I grabbed my bag, met my brother and continued to maximize the remaining day. Peace after productivity is priceless, wouldn't mind doing few sets in one day.


**I'm finding myself to Seattle's for breakfast recently. I just love how they do "my eggs" (kinda sounds off hehe), here too stuffed to finish a piece of toast with my "literal notebook."


**Gloomy isolation. Can't blame me for loving this setting.


*Honey Iced tea...I love

1 comment:

kegler747 said...

Wow! It looks like ur telling us a story from a first-world country. Well, I guess our country is just being what the taxpayers should expect :)