Monday, August 18, 2008

Just one of those Wonderful Days

I woke up late, like at around 11 pm, just because I stayed till dawn to say goodbye to my dear friend Tracy Aquino who is Singapore bound. Me together with the usual Sun Valley group had a party and we definitely had fun. We exchanged a couple of conversations about certain people who should be there, but chose not to be there for the wrong reasons, but anyways that's reserved for the bullcrap post. This post should be wonderful like today.

I was expected to gear myself to spend my weekend on my own accord. Nothing really special, but I was missing Mitch for the entire week, and a quick dinner at Shakey's and a happy weekend party with lots of friends wouldn't suffice for a quality time. Not being so cheeky about it, but there has to be that extraordinary time no matter how it is spent. I knew Mitch had a shoot today, so I planned to do another round of cleaning and catching up with Susan Howatch's novel. But good thing Mitch canceled all his shoots to achieve that quality time and snatch me from that round of cleaning.

Although that quality time started rough when Mitch complained to the nutty Nokia-care center for his much-missed Kristine E61 phone, but seriously proud of him for not dwelling on the matter as we headed to Yummy Big Buddha for lunch. We ordered some yang chow, 99 pesos crispy noodles (their promo), crispy fish fillet and hakaw. We stuffed ourselves silly as we enjoyed a couple of bantering I truly missed when he was away for work. We kind of saw ourselves repeating the word "date" and gushing over how pathetically sentimental we are.



After lunch we checked a couple of stores, as an excuse to burn some calories away, only to find ourselves getting a pint of Sugar Free Strawberry ice cream at BTIC. While we were doing another round of window shopping, we consumed the whole thing before actually leaving for Fort. Amazing pair of consumers, we are.


Upon arrival at Fort, Mitch informed me that he'll buy me a book. I thought he was faking for he never really likes books and we usually treat each other with food. A couple of times he was able to buy a book for me were on the Christmas of 2006 wherein we had a Gift Exchange list, and a random trip to Greenhills to make up for loss time. Other than that, I could never let him visit a bookstore for more than 30 minutes and most definitely he was never the one to initiate me to buy a new book. So, I was pretty hesitant with this deal, but he was forever sweet and insisted to go with me to the whole selection process...without the time pressure.

So at around 3:00 we went to Fort and went straight to Fully Booked. As I was searching for titles, I knew he only had one book in mind. So not to push my luck, I was torn with two copies after endless searching, which forced me to allot some extra time to weigh the titles. Being Mitch, he has reached his record-breaking limit in bookstores and decided to see my developments in that dreary corner. So when he figured out I was torn with two books, he snatched the two copies and insisted I get both. He even went to the Stephanie Myer Section to pick a better copy of the book. I was stunned with the gesture and at the same time I was ecstatic. This reaction might seem ridiculous to some, but I never fail to illicit the same excitement when buying books, much more for someone I know who never appreciates books, buying it for me and going through that extra mile. If this is a sort of bribe, well I gladly accept. If this is some gift, well I would forever thank him as it goes to memory lane.



His happy face registered my message that I was happy. He was like a dad in Serendra with a kid almost embracing those two books that would mean more to me than ever. We went to Seattles and met with his DT friends Paolo and Pia, and for some reason I smelled the bribe. They were to play Diablo, but hey, I couldn't care less as I was excited to start the Stephenie Myer series, Twilight, to see what the fuss was all about.



Read I did, and it took me 2 hours to realize that it's dinner time already. We grabbed our dinner at Oliver's and since I was extra happy, I wanted to share it with my brother so I bought him cupcakes. While we were going home, I just thanked Mitch for giving me a wonderful day. It's not about the books (yeah right) well a part of it is about those books, but today was well planned and he made it all sweeter and memorable in terms of conversations and mood.

This might seem simple, crazy and ridiculous to some, but there was not a single thread of inconvenience nor weirdness for this day. It might be because I sorely missed Mitch or just being able to realize that I'm just damn lucky to be able to savor this last "bum" day with a loved one. This is a sweet ending for that month-long vacation, and I couldn't be able to thank Mitch more for that wonderful day straight to memory lane.

No comments: