Sunday, October 19, 2008

The day I missed Sustagen

For today's breakfast, I'm feasting on Wheat Melba Toast dipping it in authentic Balsamic Caper Vinaigrette and Authentic Dulong spread on the side. Not your ordinary breakfast though. These are just some of the products I got from Rockwell Dessert Bazaar for the nth time, I know.

I've been to Rockwell Dessert Bazaar practically for around five times already and I usually get myself in financial shambles from buying desserts that range from 50 pesos to 500. But yesterday since my regular Food Buddie is back, Mitch agreed to take me to Rockwell for this PINK KITCHEN affair. It's an affair that supports Women battling Breast Cancer by putting up an event where they house wonderful chefs to showcase their personal or commercial dishes to the public. The entrance is 200 bucks and the event is attended by top bloggers, press people, certified foodies, celebrities, Rockwell crowd and those who are just plain curious of what's it all about.

My mind is geared for this specific event despite that most people were only aware of the Rockwell Mega Sale and the Dessert Bazaar in Powerplant mall. Unfortunately something a mood-altering incident happened, which I will not discuss here, and I arrived there late and only faced the 'merienda' selections of Pink Kitchen. Since Mitch couldn't come in, I decided to just venture this out on my own, probably today, but I got a sneak peek of what's inside. It's interesting, the place is cozily lit and I am seeing desserts, tables and chic waiters. Just imagine a grand restaurant offering different kinds of cuisines with full blast chic entertainment.

So due to the heat of it all, we decided to just go inside Powerplant and look around. It took Mitch and I three rounds of going back and forth to the Dessert Bazaar, found my usual favorites and insisted I get something sugarfree for Mitch. Surprisingly, I was more inclined to buy spreads this time, for a change I said. So I went to Joy's Stall and bought three Dulongs in a Jar (250 each) with a package of Wheat Melba toast (90). I transfered to Saltine's stall and bought a bottle of Balsamic Caper Vinaigrette (220). I spent a thousand bucks on jars and spreads that I felt giddy about. As a reward, I went to Crepes and Creme and treated Mitch and myself with some crepe dessert with ice cream. His is sugarfree of course, he reminds me of my kid brother I find happy feeding all the time...well not all the time...most with quality not quantity.

To burn everything off we decided to roam around shops looking for good Sale items. Since my mood wasn't there and I nearly spent my entire budget for the day, I was just happy to go with him from store to store, totally oblivious of the good finds. Since he "window shopped" with me in Food sections now it's my turn to Window Shop with him for retail goods. All's fair in shopping, I guess.

So after Rockwell, we went to Shakey's Magallanes and ordered our usual treat. Party Thin crust of Friday's special and Mojos. We talked about his Malaysian trip and lots of "past and personal" stuff that are just downright funny that it's already bordering to being pathetic. We discussed future plans and felt ecstatic on foreseen trips. Good thing Mitch is beginning to be a "traveler." I won't have a hard time nudging him to go somewhere that requires driving, a plane or a boat ride.

After dinner, he dropped me off my house and bade goodbye for his night out to "rub elbows" with friends in the industry. I don't really know about "rubbing elbows" but from day one, I've never been comfortable with that. Rubbing elbows incorporates a lot of things that I most probably will not like. Ho well, not letting it get it the best of me, I focused on reading Sarah Dunant's Transgressions (Not a happy relationship book, I tell you, but damn interesting. This is something you'd avoid if are on paranoia attack. But if you want to torture yourself, go ahead) when Bags texted me if I'm in a mood to go to Central. Since I've had too many crowd exposures for the day, I invited Bags instead to share some Dulong spread with me and some red wine at home. She obliged.

She arrived at 11 pm, had a rough time pulling out the cork (She did the work of course while I was there completely useless as usual) and we ended the night around 2:30 am, finishing the bottle of red wine of course with Dulong on the side. Again, a couple of meaningful conversations and analysis of past issues of our lives that we've been witnesses to. It's funny how things turned out as she said. Sometimes every shitty thing has a profound reason for happening. Her life turned out very nice and she deserves it for keeping it together. We talked about issues we women face and she made me remember of my Sustagen moments. I think we were talking about childhood memories, from school bus experience to the whole routine before going to school. I think that's when Sustagen popped out.

We ended the night slightly boozed, yet steady, receiving a couple of calls from our significant others' with how their own respective "Boys' night outs" were doing. While the boys were out there dressed for the event, spending for gas, drink and good vibes, us girls were just steady at my soon to be ex-front garage, sipping wine no less. I'd pick this steady night any day.

I'm still having a slight hangover from last night, but there's one thing I think I won't get tired of. Dulong, and for that we're making a Dulong Pasta later. Another a weekend of sorts for me.

No comments: